Tombraider Lost artifact

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Been away for a while and just started to get back into the TR games.
Started Lost Artifact and at the beginning of the game, Lara jumps off
the bridge to a dead spot in the water (there is an uzi near this
spot). I can get her to start to emerge from the water but then she
jumps back in the water.. Been working on this an hour or so
everynight for a week. I make the jump with no problem, I face her
toward the shore, I tap the action key lightly. What do I need to do
to get her to stay out of the water as she keeps jumping back in...
Help.

John

> Started Lost Artifact and at the beginning of the game, Lara jumps off
> the bridge to a dead spot in the water (there is an uzi near this
> spot). I can get her to start to emerge from the water but then she
> jumps back in the water..

The swim bug helps here. Don't bother with the action key, instead,
release and repress the swim key (ALT on a PC). I made a small
video of this sequence:

http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/trlauzi.wmv

I have savegames for all of the tr series here:

http://members.cox.net/jeffareid/tr.htm

John wrote:

> Been away for a while and just started to get back into the TR games.
> Started Lost Artifact and at the beginning of the game, Lara jumps off
> the bridge to a dead spot in the water (there is an uzi near this
> spot). I can get her to start to emerge from the water but then she
> jumps back in the water.. Been working on this an hour or so
> everynight for a week. I make the jump with no problem, I face her
> toward the shore, I tap the action key lightly. What do I need to do
> to get her to stay out of the water as she keeps jumping back in...
> Help.
>
> John

All I can tell you is that it CAN be done! If you hit action at just the
right instant - as she rapidly drifts past the shore in question -
lovely Lara RaiderMaid will literally JUMP ( not climb ) out of the
water and land as sure footed as a river otter on the shore. Make sure
you have her right up against the shore, and facing the right way (
toward land ) as she passes what looks like the only good place to get
out of the water.

It can be a way-major-frustrating pick up, as the only way to get her
back to the jump point, without a long convoluted backtracking climb, is
to have saved up there in the first place and to then let her drown so
you can restart at the save...which is time consuming and more than a
touch morbid.

Anyway...good luck!

--
rolobeastie@earthlink.net
Approved by the River Otter Association of America.

Cool beans! What did you make the videos with?

Jeff Reid wrote:
>>Started Lost Artifact and at the beginning of the game, Lara jumps off
>>the bridge to a dead spot in the water (there is an uzi near this
>>spot). I can get her to start to emerge from the water but then she
>>jumps back in the water..
>

> The swim bug helps here. Don't bother with the action key, instead,
> release and repress the swim key (ALT on a PC). I made a small
> video of this sequence:
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/trlauzi.wmv
>
> I have savegames for all of the tr series here:
>
> http://members.cox.net/jeffareid/tr.htm

> Cool beans! What did you make the videos with?

I normally use fraps from http://www.fraps.com to do
a video capture with sound.

Sometimes fraps interferes with a game too much. IF so,
I use a secondary video out on my video card to output
s-vhs to a digital camcorder, then play the video back
into the compure via 1394 interface. This works, but
it doesn't look as nice.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Jeff Reid" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<V0DSc.12881$xk.2372@fed1read01>...
> > Started Lost Artifact and at the beginning of the game, Lara jumps off
> > the bridge to a dead spot in the water (there is an uzi near this
> > spot). I can get her to start to emerge from the water but then she
> > jumps back in the water..
>
> The swim bug helps here. Don't bother with the action key, instead,
> release and repress the swim key (ALT on a PC). I made a small
> video of this sequence:
>
> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/trlauzi.wmv
>
> I have savegames for all of the tr series here:
>
> http://members.cox.net/jeffareid/tr.htm

WOW !!!! I have been trying that for a week and thanks to you I have
done it. What a great video. I don't think I could have done it
without actually seeing it. Wish I could make Lara dive like you did.
I was trying the hint from Stella's site and just couldn't get the
fingers to work correctly. Using only the swim button was much
better.

Thanks
JohnN

John wrote:
> "Jeff Reid" <noone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Started Lost Artifact and at the beginning of the game, Lara jumps
>>> off the bridge to a dead spot in the water (there is an uzi near
>>> this spot). I can get her to start to emerge from the water but
>>> then she jumps back in the water..
>>
>> The swim bug helps here. Don't bother with the action key, instead,
>> release and repress the swim key (ALT on a PC). I made a small
>> video of this sequence:
>>
>> http://jeffareid.net/cgi-bin/trlauzi.wmv
>>
>> I have savegames for all of the tr series here:
>>
>> http://members.cox.net/jeffareid/tr.htm
>
> WOW !!!! I have been trying that for a week and thanks to you I have
> done it. What a great video. I don't think I could have done it
> without actually seeing it. Wish I could make Lara dive like you did.
> I was trying the hint from Stella's site and just couldn't get the
> fingers to work correctly. Using only the swim button was much
> better.

That's Jeffs movie :) In that brief vid he showed clearly what so many
words just couldn't get across. If I hadn't seen it before playing that
area, I would have been stuck there too, sure as anything! Oh, I could
have hit ALT by accident there, but it's more likely I'd have been
trying my darndest to get out with CTRL, the normal key. BTW, you are
playing it on a PC right? That's the Swan Dive and it's an easy one,
really. You can practice doing that just about anywhere, in fact.
Just start Lara running, then press ALT while running so she is doing a
running jump. Then just add the SHIFT key; UPARROW for a sec, then ALT
with a quick tap of SHIFT and she'll do the swan dive on dry land, just
roll with the landing :)
Raidon!
--
McGrandpa [AGQx]