SATA doesn't boot as C:

Hi,
I have a boot-drive-letter question, I hope someone can help with.

I have Winxp-pro as master on the primary IDE channel(C:). I bought a SATA
drive, to use as primary system drive & installed it(ASUS motherboard reports
it as primary drive on 3rd IDE channel). Used PartitionMagic to copy the
C:partition to the (visible/active) SATA drive (G:). Modified boot.ini on the
G:. Ran FIXBOOT from CD. Set motherboard BIOS to boot from SATA instead of
IDE. SATA boots, but comes up as G:, not C:, but is REALLY fast. IDE still
boots OK if I switch to it in the MB BIOS pre-boot. Other devices:
zipdisk(d:), CDrom-1 and 2 (E:, F:).

Since I want to have everything from the old IDE (apps & data) up to date on
the SATA, is there any way I can make the G: come up as C:, so all the old
apps will still work?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You might be better off asking ASUS. I say that because I have an ABIT
IC7-MAX3 motherboard with two IDE channels (four devices), six SATA
connectors, and the floppy connector. As long as I had IDE harddrives
connected to the IDE channels the SATA drives were always relegated to drive
letters beyond the IDE drive letters.

I had to use a PATA (Parallel ATA or IDE) to SATA adapter to put all drives
on the SATA connectors so that the letters would become C:, D:. etc. (This
issue did not impact CDs or DVD players because they could easily be chnaged
as far as drive letters were concerned.)

"DJay" <DJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a boot-drive-letter question, I hope someone can help with.
>
> I have Winxp-pro as master on the primary IDE channel(C:). I bought a SATA
> drive, to use as primary system drive & installed it(ASUS motherboard
> reports
> it as primary drive on 3rd IDE channel). Used PartitionMagic to copy the
> C:partition to the (visible/active) SATA drive (G:). Modified boot.ini on
> the
> G:. Ran FIXBOOT from CD. Set motherboard BIOS to boot from SATA instead of
> IDE. SATA boots, but comes up as G:, not C:, but is REALLY fast. IDE still
> boots OK if I switch to it in the MB BIOS pre-boot. Other devices:
> zipdisk(d:), CDrom-1 and 2 (E:, F:).
>
> Since I want to have everything from the old IDE (apps & data) up to date
> on
> the SATA, is there any way I can make the G: come up as C:, so all the old
> apps will still work?

Why would you have to modify boot.ini if you can choose the boot drive in
BIOS - btw, another way is to hit F8 at POST and you'll have your choice of
boot drive overriding the BIOS boot sequence.
Just leave the boot.ini on each drive as if the other drive would not be
bootable (default boot.ini on a clean install).
Michael