Higher resolution scans

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm trying to scan old color slides and convert to prints. I want to see if
my scanner prints 1200 dpi scans of slides better than 300 dpi scans. I
can't figure out how to find out, without actually doing the printing. When
I look at the two scans on my computer screen, I see no difference even at
higher mag. Should I expect to see no difference (because of the 72 dpi
limit on screen), until I print out?
I don't have a photo printer except one that comes with my Kodak DX6340, and
although I can print out the 300 dpi image, the 1200 dpi image won't load
onto the memory disk (maybe because it's 911 kb vs 211). If I could figure
out what to do, maybe I could put them both on a cd and take them to a Fuji
printout kiosk.

Ed Kearns

"Edward Kearns" <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm trying to scan old color slides and convert to prints. I want to see
> if
> my scanner prints 1200 dpi scans of slides better than 300 dpi scans. I
> can't figure out how to find out, without actually doing the printing.
> When
> I look at the two scans on my computer screen, I see no difference even at
> higher mag. Should I expect to see no difference (because of the 72 dpi
> limit on screen), until I print out?

View them magnified.

Edward Kearns wrote:

> I'm trying to scan old color slides and convert to prints. I want to see if
> my scanner prints 1200 dpi scans of slides better than 300 dpi scans. I
> can't figure out how to find out, without actually doing the printing. When
> I look at the two scans on my computer screen, I see no difference even at
> higher mag. Should I expect to see no difference (because of the 72 dpi
> limit on screen), until I print out?
> I don't have a photo printer except one that comes with my Kodak DX6340, and
> although I can print out the 300 dpi image, the 1200 dpi image won't load
> onto the memory disk (maybe because it's 911 kb vs 211). If I could figure
> out what to do, maybe I could put them both on a cd and take them to a Fuji
> printout kiosk.
>
> Ed Kearns

Hi Ed...

Please don't even think about comparing what you see on
your monitor and what you'll see printed. Apples and oranges,
so to speak. :)

Scan your slides for printing at 1200 if that's the best you
can do. That will give you acceptable 4 x 6 prints. If you
want larger prints you'll have to scan at an even higher
resolution.

I'm sure others will reinforce this, but if you'd like to
do an almost painless experiment for yourself, scan a slide
each way (different filenames). Take them to Walmart or
whatever exists in your area, and print each for about a
quarter apiece.

Take care.

Ken