Solved

Did I fry the MB?

I had a problem with my computer and a BootMgr missing error, so I unplugged all but the boot drive and got it to work. But while the computer case was open, I decided to try and fix a minor problem: the light on the Floppy drive was always on and I had read that this meant I had the connecter on upside down.

So I unplugged the floppy from the Motherboard while the computer was running. It instantly shut down and nothing turns on, not the fans or anything. I do see an LED inside that is on and I know it is getting power.

So, is it likely that I fried the motherboard by not turning off the computer before I unplugged the floppy?

If so, do I get nominated for the "just when you think you've heard it all award"? :)
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. It is possible those connectors are not hot swappable. Try resetting BIOS and shutting of the PSU switch or pull the plug then try again.
  2. rolli59 said:
    It is possible those connectors are not hot swappable. Try resetting BIOS and shutting of the PSU switch or pull the plug then try again.

Thanks for the reply. I had already tried pulling the plug but not resetting the BIOS. I assume you mean by pulling out the battery and replacing it?

That would be preferable to buying and installing a new MB!

Thanks so much for the reply. I very much appreciate it.
    Alan
  3. I pulled the battery and moved the jumper then moved it back to reset the BIOS all with the plug pulled out. I then plugget it back in and found that nothing is changed. The LED in the case is lit, showing that there is power, but when I press the power switch, there is no response. No fans, no beep, no nothing.

A lightning strike fried the original MB last June (through an industrial UPS/surge protector!) and those were the same symptoms. It looks like I get to have the fun and joy of replacing the MB a second time in less than a year. :??:

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it.
    Alan
  4. Best answer
    Yes those were only final straw solutions! Looks like your board did not survive and lesson learned.
  5. rolli59 said:
    Yes those were only final straw solutions! Looks like your board did not survive and lesson learned.

Yep - the solution was to buy a new motherboard! Gigabyte with a P43 chipset. Nice, easier to install and set up. Only had 3 fan headers and I have 4 fans, so two are wired together.

But thanks for taking the time to throw in your $.02
    Alan
  6. Best answer selected by AlanCFA.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus Floppy Disk Computer Motherboards