Did I fry the MB?

AlanCFA

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I had a problem with my computer and a BootMgr missing error, so I unplugged all but the boot drive and got it to work. But while the computer case was open, I decided to try and fix a minor problem: the light on the Floppy drive was always on and I had read that this meant I had the connecter on upside down.

So I unplugged the floppy from the Motherboard while the computer was running. It instantly shut down and nothing turns on, not the fans or anything. I do see an LED inside that is on and I know it is getting power.

So, is it likely that I fried the motherboard by not turning off the computer before I unplugged the floppy?

If so, do I get nominated for the "just when you think you've heard it all award"? :)

AlanCFA

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011

Thanks for the reply. I had already tried pulling the plug but not resetting the BIOS. I assume you mean by pulling out the battery and replacing it?

That would be preferable to buying and installing a new MB!

Thanks so much for the reply. I very much appreciate it.
Alan

AlanCFA

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I pulled the battery and moved the jumper then moved it back to reset the BIOS all with the plug pulled out. I then plugget it back in and found that nothing is changed. The LED in the case is lit, showing that there is power, but when I press the power switch, there is no response. No fans, no beep, no nothing.

A lightning strike fried the original MB last June (through an industrial UPS/surge protector!) and those were the same symptoms. It looks like I get to have the fun and joy of replacing the MB a second time in less than a year. :??:

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it.
Alan

AlanCFA

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011

Yep - the solution was to buy a new motherboard! Gigabyte with a P43 chipset. Nice, easier to install and set up. Only had 3 fan headers and I have 4 fans, so two are wired together.

But thanks for taking the time to throw in your $.02
Alan