SSD for video streaming

Seehank

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hey guys,

Hope I am not asking answeard question, but I was googling previously with not much luck. Now it is very simple. I am putting together a video Streaming system and I am thinking os using SSD to do that. Since there will be minimum writes (just reading and streaming) I was thinking of MLC solution. Crucial m4 might my pick, but the important thing is if it is good enought.

I saw many benchmarks but honestly I did not understand much of them. Which of all the test could I use to simulate the situations of streaming. By that I mean lets say:

500 viewer watching at the same time 200 different films at different points at 1,2 Mbit/s. That to my knowledge is random reads. But is there a way to anyhow benchmark it or use wast number of benchmarks on the internet to estimate this situation?

Sorry if I am asking like a stupid, but I actually am kind of stupid in this subject :)

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
The bottleneck in your design is not the storage, but the bandwidth and multiple ports that will be accessing the media. Video streaming is fine with HDDs, and while there may be some performance gain with SSDs, the problem is supplying the demands of 200 users simultaneously. 200 different films being accessed at the same time will likely crash any system unless you have a multiple node server with multiple storage devices.

I cannot imagine how I could build a video streaming system that would sufficiently provide for 200 simultaneous video streams without a large array of HDDs or SSDs, with multiple servers over a T3 or T4.

Seehank

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

I see, but the streams are at realtively low bitrate. Does that not affect the result?

ismaelf10

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I really recommend you OCZ, its quality is excellent, have a low number of breakdowns, which is important for your work so I can understand, and its performance is the best I've tried, I have systems with these disks and Nas are film, I hope I've helped.

I bought this store in less than 1 euro on GB http://www.tpoinformatica.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seehank

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

With Cucrial I just followed Toms las SSD review-for-prize ... And I wrote some pretty bad reviews on OCZ Agility 3, but that might have been the past. Which models are you useing succesfully?

Seehank

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

SSD is not really needed in this case...
but I understand why the want for one.

I run the Crucial M4, I stand by it..

Well I believe my maximum read speed will be getting to 100MB/s and I do not want to buy many disks to do that (but honestly not very pro in that) so I thought OK SSD will fix my problems and they cost same as SAS disks anyways. Pleas correct me if I am wrong.

Seehank

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
don't get me wrong, it will be faster regardless because of it being an SSD
but for what you want, is it really worth it for necessity or just to have.?
(increased load times)

I'm referring to this, once the streaming starts, the most important part is over..

Honestly I have an 3.gen SSD in my notebook :) I do not need to have it averywhere but I thought for 500 streams of 200 different streams I will need much more speed than single HDD can do.

Seehank

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
but once the streaming begins it's a matter of the bandwidth isn't it.?
I might be confused of what you actually mean and say, my apologies..

live video streams overs internet or watching videos from computer.?

I am talking about a Streaming server, not watching streaming video.