AMD's "Bulldozer" processors, AM3 compatible?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
With AMD's 4-8 core, new micro-architecture "Bulldozer" chips coming out late 2010 or very early 2011, did I make a mistake by buying a Core i7 930 and X58 motherboard? Should I have gotten an AM3 socket motherboard like the ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (890FX) and bought the Bulldozers when they come out?

I am not 100% certain if the Bulldozers will be compatible with AM3 socket motherboards, or if it will use something like AM3+ or AM4. If it can use AM3 sockets with a BIOS update, I would have gotten AMD instead of Intel. Do you think the Bulldozers will outperform the Core i7? The 6-core Phenom II X6 1090T overtakes the Core i7 in some benchmarks.

The 2nd generation DX11 ATI Radeon HD 6xxx GPU family are also set for release circa Christmas 2010.

It's still unlikely that the Bulldozers will outperform Intel's 8-core Sandy Bridge. AMD hasn't had a chip faster than Intel's since the days of the Athlon 64 vs Pentium 4.

The Bulldozers will probably be between $300-400 as opposed to probably $1,400+ like the flagship Intel Sandy Bridge model.

xaira

Distinguished
the 930 is a good chip, though some would say its better to go amd for the moment because there is no chance intel will have a $200 -$300 hexacore anytime, if ever,

but then again, there is no way of knowing if the bulldozer socket AM3r2 will be compatible with am3, because if i were amd andi wanted people to choose my high end stuff now, yet had already decided that bulldozer will be LGA, then i would decide that its a good idea to name a socket AM3r2 instead of AM3+ : )

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Well you have to admit that 12AMDcores x 4ghz=48GHz and 8Intelcores x4ghz=32ghz Its hard to believe that with 4 extra cores they wouldn't be faster but if they have for instance 10 cores and 2 fusion GPU cores that would be really really awesome! Imagine that set up 2cores for each GPU and having one on the mainboard that would give you 3 cores of sli and add another board dual gpu and you have 5 cores for gaming and triple surround gaming from matrox or ATI Eyeinfinity with 6 monitors!!

loneninja

Distinguished

There is no 12 core Bulldozer coming except for the Opteron variations, and your smoking something if you think they'll be at 4.0Ghz. :lol:

Bulldozer also isn't fusion until 2012 or later, the fusion parts are X2/X4 processors based on current Phenom technology.

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
What? 12 AMD cores at 4ghz?? What are you smoking dude? You don't multiply cores by clock speed. LOL 4 extra cores? What are you talking about?? :hello:

By the way that must be the longest run on sentence in the history of Tom's Hardware.

12cores running at 4ghz each with a liquid cooling kit dude? Intel has had a pentium IV running at 10ghz with liquid nitrogen in 2005 man! If your that rich and buy a 12core athlon magma chip you might as well liquid nitrogen the thing and get your money's worth!

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

you a young whipper snapper? Intel has had a 10GHZ Pentium IV with liquid nitrogen in 2005! With Liquid nitrogen you can overclock that baby probably around another 1GHz. Anyways look on the forum someone was looking for Liquid nitrogen go and ask him about overclocking?

loneninja

Distinguished

Are you suggesting attempting to overclock a workstation/server set up using liquid nitrogen? Phenom II has been near 7.0Ghz stable that way, but there is no way your running a system 24/7 like that.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

........................................................................................ :pfff: :pfff: ........................................................... WTF are you talking about?

You must be THE young one, I'll bet on that. If not, well lets just say you are a bit over confident in yourself!

Lets just say that you are a bit delusional. :non:

Your assumption of 4 Ghz is a bit radical with conventional cooling. YES! I read your half ass argument of extreme cooling. Do you think extreme cooling will come standard. AS PREVIOUSLY STATED!!!! Fusion is still a WAYS away! 12 cores???? HUH! WHAT!!

WAIT I KNOW!

Do you think you are from the future?

Wow!

Hope this helps ...

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

So my Core i7 should be a very good chip which won't become obsolete for years.

I am going to use my computer almost entirely for gaming. I doubt the Intel Sandy Bridge will put out any significant gaming performance over the Core i7.

Will the next-gen DX11 ATI cards be an entirely new micro-architecture than the HD 5xxx series? Or just a highly revised and improved version of the current architecture?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

8-cores at beyond 3.0 GHz will produce a lot of heat, very fast. I'm guessing 2.4-2.6 GHz.

You fail.

"That's not how it works" fail

"logical reasoning" and "keeping up with AMD current PR" fail

"implementation" and "brand naming" fail
ATI uses crossfire
crossfire can only use 4 GPU cores
mixing low performing GPUs and high performing GPUs is usually much worse than using just the high performance GPU

"purpose of high performance overclocking" fail

You guys do remember the 'troll' from a few years ago who specialized in that fancy Jethro Bodine-like cipherin' with cores and clock speed?

jethro.gif

Looks like he's back :ouch:

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Bulldozer will be utilizing a Quad-channel memory interface. With that being said buying an AM3 motherboard may or may not be compatible with Bulldozer... but the question is... would you want to use a motherboard that only supplies half the potential performance of Bulldozer in terms of memory access requests?

I think that today's AM3 motherboards, even if compatible, defeat the purpose of purchasing a Bulldozer. I also have yet to see anyone resit the temptation of buying a new motherboard with a new CPU of a different architecture.

Most folks who had compatible i945 board (for Core 2 Duo's) saw themselves upgrading to a new i965/i975 motherboard.

Also.. even if Bulldozer is pin compatible.. it doesn't mean that it will work in today's AM3 boards. Voltage regulation as well as BIOS firmware updates play a role. It will also depend on the memory controller aboard Bulldozer.

Too many questions therefore no answers can be given with certainty.

From the home office in Sunnyvale ...

AMDRoadmap.jpg