Sign in with
Your question

Gtx 480 for sure, but witch one?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2010 12:58:27 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Next couple weeks
BUDGET RANGE: None

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Auto cad

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: I don't have a GPU yet its a brand new build, Corsair 750w

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: CPU/Mobo: i7-930, Asus P6X58D Premium
RAM: G.Skill Pi 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
Case: Coolermaster 992 HAF
Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner
HSF: Coolermaster V8

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Everything Newegg so far

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nvidia works best for autocad

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Later

MONITOR RESOLUTION: For now its my 40" LCD 1080p until i want to buy a monitor

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Just looking for the best cooling and warrenty, so far EVGA has the best warrenty and i have heard the service is amazing

What one would you think would have the best stock cooler?

Thomas

More about : gtx 480 witch

a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 1:47:40 AM

I'd say the one with the best warranty is what you are looking for. If they didn't build it to last, it wouldn't have a lifetime warranty I don't think. What have you got to lose?
Stops working in 3 years, send it back!
m
l
April 22, 2010 1:58:12 AM

EVGA is a lifetime limited warranty
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 2:51:16 AM

EVGA is an excellent brand. Can you find one of theirs?
m
l
April 22, 2010 2:52:10 AM

I can try lol, im on auto-notify on newegg
m
l
April 22, 2010 3:18:07 AM

Good choice... XFX is a good company that decided not to sell the gtxs.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 3:21:51 AM

Or weren't allowed to :whistle: 
m
l
April 22, 2010 4:28:47 AM

EXT64 said:
Or weren't allowed to :whistle: 

DAMN.......
m
l
April 22, 2010 5:12:29 AM

Good choice with what?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 12:28:04 PM

They are being sarcastic....the 480's are, well to be truthful, a lot of us think they are best described as overpriced power sucking bedroom heaters than high end gaming card solutions.
m
l
April 22, 2010 12:47:24 PM

jitpublisher said:
They are being sarcastic....the 480's are, well to be truthful, a lot of us think they are best described as overpriced power sucking bedroom heaters than high end gaming card solutions.

Very nice for the winter when the heat is down. Nice foot warmer that is if the computer is on the ground :p 

BTW why did they choose to use such a power sucking card instead of a COMPLETELY possible energy efficient high end gaming card. Seems to me nvidia is down in the bottom of the ninth with two outs and two strikes.

Ive been an nvidia supporter because of excellent drivers...but they just keep upping power consumption

next card = ATI 5850 :D 

uber
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 1:09:21 PM

EVGA is a good choice, the GTX 480 is the fastest GPU in the world, ignore ATI fans who need to justify their video card. I'm pretty sure all reference cards are the same right now.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 1:25:44 PM

Yep, for any reference card, just decide based off of warranty, service, price, and what is included.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 1:33:16 PM

notty22 said:
EVGA is a good choice, the GTX 480 is the fastest GPU in the world, ignore ATI fans who need to justify their video card. I'm pretty sure all reference cards are the same right now.

Let me clarify something just for the record, I figured someone would say this. Did you look at my specs? Do you see an ATI card in my system? No, you don't.
And I am saying they could, and should, have done a lot better. The new Fermi cards, as released, are a disappointment to any nVidia fan who looks at more than the very last number on "PC Gamer's latest and greatest video card benchmarking blow down contest BS."

But like I said, just look for a good warranty, they are all built, as other have said, from the same reference design.
I don't know if BFG is making these, but I have had nothing but good luck and happiness from all my BFG purchases over the years.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 1:38:39 PM

Yes and I knew someone would do this, feed the troll fires with heating the room, they could have done better, and I'm not a fanboy, I just felt the need to interject all this in every Fermi thread :(  .
m
l
April 22, 2010 1:42:04 PM

Lifetime warranty is not your lifetime. It is the product life. Once the product run is over and the card cannot be found on the market, they are allowed to refuse your warranty.

Typically they would at least do 5 years and simply replace your card with an equivalent if they can't find one.
m
l
April 22, 2010 1:57:23 PM

notty22 said:
Yes and I knew someone would do this, feed the troll fires with heating the room, they could have done better, and I'm not a fanboy, I just felt the need to interject all this in every Fermi thread :(  .

I was being sarcastic about that. Didn't know a little humor could start an arguement :( 

Heres what i see:

Nvidia = graphics powerhouse(480 GTX most powerful in the world) but at a price from your pocket and your utilities bill as well as heat production

ATI = graphics powerhouse with a slightly lower benchmark than the 480 GTX vs the 5970 but more energy efficient

Personally i like nVidia and there software...but i was expecting a little less heat production and a little less power consumption

Pretty sure if ATI can do it...Nvidia could have given it a shot

thats all im saying

Uber
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 2:33:39 PM

Argument or debate ? Whatever, but the endless snarks get old. The new ATI cards along with Fermi are both made on 40nm now. Anands review of the 5870 pointed out, that (along with being a great card) was also hot and noisy.

Quote:
The more powerful the card the louder it tends to get, and the 5870 is no exception. At 64 dB it’s louder than everything other than the GTX 295 and a pair of 5870s. Hopefully this is something that the card manufacturers can improve on later on with custom coolers, as while 64 dB at 6" is not egregious it’s still an unwelcome increase in fan noise.

The GTX 480 is 15% faster (on early drivers) so OMG its louder and hotter. Nvidia fans being dissapointed is total B/S, Every GTX 480 + 470 is sold minutes after they go up for sale.
Enthusiasts buy the cards for gaming not to ogle over how cool it runs. Do people forget how every enthusiast is running 2lb hunks of metal off their cpu's ? Surprise , they run hot!
m
l
April 22, 2010 5:36:58 PM

To clarify...

I know people that can fork out the money for the 480 do not mind power consumption

Im on a budget performance build...so i choose a energy efficient 5850 :D 

Nice point BTW^^

Thanks

Uber
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 22, 2010 7:32:38 PM

I guess the 5850 is quite a bit quieter than the '70, as mine stays near silent until I OC it. Or maybe it just means I'd consider all of these cards quiet.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 24, 2010 1:21:06 PM

notty22 said:
Argument or debate ? Whatever, but the endless snarks get old. The new ATI cards along with Fermi are both made on 40nm now. Anands review of the 5870 pointed out, that (along with being a great card) was also hot and noisy.
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/rv870_092209122344/20132.png
Quote:
The more powerful the card the louder it tends to get, and the 5870 is no exception. At 64 dB it’s louder than everything other than the GTX 295 and a pair of 5870s. Hopefully this is something that the card manufacturers can improve on later on with custom coolers, as while 64 dB at 6" is not egregious it’s still an unwelcome increase in fan noise.

The GTX 480 is 15% faster (on early drivers) so OMG its louder and hotter. Nvidia fans being dissapointed is total B/S, Every GTX 480 + 470 is sold minutes after they go up for sale.
Enthusiasts buy the cards for gaming not to ogle over how cool it runs. Do people forget how every enthusiast is running 2lb hunks of metal off their cpu's ? Surprise , they run hot!

I am an nVidia fan, and I'll say it again, they should have done a lot better, a lot better.
m
l
April 25, 2010 1:17:38 AM

I'll recommend EVGA, I had no problems with them.
m
l
April 25, 2010 1:42:43 AM

notty22 said:

Agreed. My 295 has been a power hog, running 90C every day in my system for almost a year now and I couldn't be happier with it. I have no special cooling with an i7 running happily at 55C @ 4ghz, two WD blacks, and an SSD right next to the card. The power bill isn't any different than it was before I built the system. Just Tom's is ate up with a bunch of adolescent fanboy hyperbole.

You'd think the people who are so hung up on 5-10C difference in temp, and a few watts of energy must live like animals to keep their power consumption in all other aspects of their life to an absolute minimum since running a hot water heater is very expensive compared to dealing with tap-temperature water.

But, back to the original topic: I highly recommend EVGA. Good forums, good tools, and if I am not mistaken, they have domestic technical support.
m
l
April 25, 2010 4:22:31 PM

UberGenocide said:
I was being sarcastic about that. Didn't know a little humor could start an arguement :( 

Heres what i see:

Nvidia = graphics powerhouse(480 GTX most powerful in the world) but at a price from your pocket and your utilities bill as well as heat production

ATI = graphics powerhouse with a slightly lower benchmark than the 480 GTX vs the 5970 but more energy efficient

Personally i like nVidia and there software...but i was expecting a little less heat production and a little less power consumption

Pretty sure if ATI can do it...Nvidia could have given it a shot

thats all im saying

Uber

You know 5970>GTX 480>5870>GTX 470>5850

Right?
m
l
April 26, 2010 4:46:47 AM

Personally I give kudos to nvidia for designing a card that can handle AA with little impact on the performance. The power and heat are nothing new from the 200vs4000 and the performance hierarchy is about the same as it was then too. As for dual chip cards I haven't found one thats truly impressive for the cost yet, especially placed against SLI/Xfire.
m
l
April 26, 2010 12:37:41 PM

builderbobftw said:
You know 5970>GTX 480>5870>GTX 470>5850

Right?

Really?

I must have not interpretted the graphics chart right

Of course it was for the new stone giant it relies heavily on geometric tessellations

Ill go look at the benchmarks now...AGAIN :D 

Uber
m
l
April 26, 2010 12:46:37 PM

Ok... i really did look at the chart wrong lol

5970 > 480 is true

thanks for pointing that one out...keeps me from looking like an idiot in other threads i post(besides this one :)  )

Thanks again

Uber
m
l
!