Sign in with
Your question

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH CASE FAN'S SETUP??

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Fan
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 28, 2010 8:22:55 AM

Hey guys so here is my situation. Right now I have an INWIN FANQUA case and I am using a Corsair H50 to cool my Phenom 965 C3. I am having trouble trying to get the best cooling from this case. I just wanna know the best way to setup my case fans to work the best with the H50 while not frying my video card at the same time LOL. The case has 4 fans total -the psu fan. It has a big 220mm fan on the side of the case, 1 120mm fan on the top, 1 120mm fan in the front, and 1 120mm fan at the back. I am using the back 120mm spot for my H50. I am trying to get the best cooling possible but my temps still seem a bit high. I have my cpu OC'ed to 3.8ghz 1.5 volts and it idles around 37-39 celcius and about 52-56 celcius load. I know this doesn't exceed thermal load capacity but I feel like I can get alot better. My video card does seem like it is getting really hot so I think I may be trapping hot air in my case. Her is how I have it set up now:

I have the Corsair H50 pulling air in from outside the case because this is what the directions said to do for best results. I have the top 120mm fan blowing air out of the case and this fan is located right above the H50. I have the side 220mm and the front 120mm both pulling air into the case. Does this sound like a good setup?? I figured that the top 120mm fan in exhaust should be enough to blow most of the hot air out of the case but now I am thinking otherwise. Any help would be awesome!!

Also the way I applied thermal paste was even spreading with a credit card. I used arcticsilver 5 and just put a thin even layer across the entire cpu. However looking around online I heard that when putting AC5 on a phenom it is best to just put a pea sized amount in the middle of the processor and then squishing the heatsing on. Does anyone have any experience with this?? Do you think I would see a positive change in temps by reseating the H50 using the squishing method as opposed to evenly spreading?? Thanks guys I really do appreciate all of the knowledge I have gained by becoming a part of this community. :wahoo:  :wahoo: 

More about : case fan setup

a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2010 12:09:02 PM

I use H50 on an Antec 900 with single fan blowing-in configuration. It lowered the average CPU temperature by ~ 8 Deg C @ 100% CPU. Its easy to add another Fan for PUSH-PULL configuration (Blowing Out) and it will lower the CPU temp further.

Refer to this site:
http://blog.corsair.com/?p=987

The default H50 thermal compound is perferctly fine. No need to add thermal compound on the CPU. That's what the procedure called for. Read and follow the instructions on the H50.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2010 12:21:43 PM

Yes the best thing to do with your H50 is to have it blowing out in a Push/Pull configuration, as you can see Corsair recommends this, and its pretty easy to do.

I always spread my thermal compound, but if it said not to on the H50 then just follow the instructions.

The Big 220MM on the side of the case should be intake.
The 120MM fan on the top of the case should exhaust.
The 120MM in the front should intake.
The back should be exhaust with push and pull on the H50 Radiator.

If you still have really bad tempuratures you can look into picking up real fans, such as;

ZALMAN ZM - F3
Yate Loon D12SM-12
San Ace 9G1212H1011
Scythe S-Flex SFF21E
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2010 1:07:01 PM

Front intake
Side exhaust
Top exhaust

Now you will have negative pressure in your case and more fresh air will be forced inside your case lowering the temps.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 28, 2010 1:30:12 PM

Your thermal paste spreading story MAY mean you have too much on. It's not always recognized that too much thermal paste is almost as bad as too little. You always need some of this material to fill in the microscopic air gaps between heatsink and CPU, but the paste film also acts as an insulating layer because it does slow down heat transfer a bit (although not as badly as plain air). So the idea is to apply as thin as possible of a film so that the air gaps are filled, but not much more. When you apply a "pea sized" amount and spread with a credit card, that may be too much. If you go to the Arctic Silver website you'll find their instructions. On my CPU (don't know on yours) their instructions were to apply paste about the size of one to two grains of rice (smaller than a pea) and then seat the heatsink on the CPU, giving is small twists in both directions to spread the paste, and finally fasten it down. So you MIGHT consider removing the cooler/heatsink, cleaning off the paste as best you can (if it's reasonably fresh you probably will not need extensive cleaning with solvents) and re-applying according to what you find at the AS website.

I'm going to disagree with LenoxLV somewhat. The total air flow through the case really is not changed by whether the case is under net positive or negative pressure. Actually, the ideal is to be almost balanced between intake and exhaust flow rates. Personally, I prefer a small net positive pressure inside, but NOT for flow rate considerations. In my way of thinking, you can (REALLY should) place air filters on the intake fans to prevent entry of room dust. If you do that AND arrange for a net positive pressure inside the case, there will be outflow of air at the leakage points and that will prevent sucking in uncontrolled dust.

One way to check, although not very precise, was pointed out in a post some time ago on this topic. Light an incense stick or something like that to create a small smoke plume generator. Move this around the case and watch where the smoke goes. If it flows slowly away from the case at leakage points, you have a slight positive pressure inside. If the air flow at those points really blows the smoke away, you're probably too positive inside and could try to re-balance. NOTE that, because of the intake filters and air flow restrictions, you cannot estimate an air flow balance simply from the fan specifications.

A couple more thoughts for you from my experience.

My computer desk has an open pedestal or "cubbyhole" under the top for the computer. It was designed with no fromt door but the back opening completely closed off by a panel nailed on. That panel helps with maintaining the structural rigidity of the desk, but it completely blocks off all air flow behind the computer. So I never installed it. Instead I found a wire mesh or grid I thought stiff enough and fastened it on with screws so there is free air flow back there.

Recently I was tracking down what I thought was an overheating problem. (It became apparent a week later it was really a PSU going bad.) In the course of cleaning out air filters and dust which involved moving the computer around, I realized that the CPU and case temps actually had gone up! I reached to the back of the unit and confirmed that the movement had piled up a bunch of cables behind the case, right where the air intake grille for the CPU was. Moving them away dropped the temps by several degrees. Moral: always look for things in the air flow path that are restricting the air - inside the case or outside.
m
l
July 28, 2010 4:58:07 PM

Buy yourself a good static pressure fan like the Gentle Typhoons for your H50. Should be Front and side as intake, and back and top as Exhaust. Are there any more areas where u can add fans? Like another at the front? Or more at the rear?
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 28, 2010 7:15:28 PM

Helltech said:

ZALMAN ZM - F3
Yate Loon D12SM-12
San Ace 9G1212H1011
Scythe S-Flex SFF21E

I like the Scythe S-Flex fans, but the "F" or "G" models, because of their higher airflow, would be better choices.
m
l
July 28, 2010 8:13:24 PM

awesome thanks for all the help!! Im gonna reapply thermal paste and switch the direction of my H50 first to see if that helps. I dont think my temps are too bad because my pc room is around 80 degrees fareneit. I just figured that having the H50 suck in air from outside of the case it would be getting colder air which would result in better/lower idle and load temps. Then again all of that hot ass air that the H50 is blowing into the case and onto my board could actually be increasing overall temps.

Also I have couple Pelican gaming fans for my pc case but they are not in use. I was thinking about awitching the stock H50 fan with these what does everyone think? IDK how good these fans are but they seem pretty solid. Can anyone attest to the Pelican fans performance? I bought em from Best Buy a year ago
m
l
July 29, 2010 1:39:06 PM

If you bought em from Best Buy, I'm gonna go ahead and assume they're junky. Plus I've never heard of them. But I could be wrong. Remember for the H50 you want a fan with good static pressure, since it has to move through the rad.
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:20:05 AM

Thats what I figured that they were junk. I cannot even find 1 review of them online. Oh well I ordered me 2 deltas for my h50. These things have over a 200cfm rating!! LOL. I am sure thats gonna be loud and overkill but I also ordered a fan control with them so I can turn them down if needed. All my other fans r gonna be Skythe gentle typhoons so I am excited 2 see my temps after get them from Newegg and get everything put together. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA :pt1cable: 
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:21:22 AM

4.2GHZ HERE I COME ha..HAHA.....................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHA
m
l
!