Need opinions on a new gaming rig

GullMoli

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hello there!

I'm getting a new monitor soon with a resolution of 1920x1200 so I need to upgrade my stuff (CPU, GPU, Mobo, RAM and Power supply) and I'd like some comments on a build I've put together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Beginning of July.

BUDGET RANGE: Around $1500.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, internet, movies and some Folding@Home.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Everything except for CPU, GPU, Motherboard, RAM and Power supply.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I'll use newegg.com for info but convert my prices to USD.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Iceland (I'll be buying everything over here except for the GPU).

PARTS PREFERENCES: None really.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes!

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes (I'd like to add another 5870 later).

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be using my good old Thermaltake Armor full tower case. I'll also be using my Thermalright Ultra 120A.

I've put together what I think is best for not too much money, and pretty future proof.

Processor: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz : $374
Graphics card: A reference 5870, I'll find that one later on. : Around $428
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium : $382
Power supply: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W : $257
RAM: SUPER TALENT (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 : $234

For a total of $1675

So what's your opinion on this build?

GullMoli

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Thanks for the response.

Regarding the i7 930, it's exactly the same as the 920 but with a higher clock, I'm going to overclock the 920 as much as I can so the 930 really doesn't interest me.

The motherboard, I see that you're suggestion is quite a bit cheaper then mine but will it overclock well?

I think I'll stick with my PSU as it's gotten great reviews and I might just get nvidia cards in the future, and they need a lot of power!

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
If you get a 5870 it will be a long time before you need a different card, by then Nvidia will likely have come out with new cards and likely much more efficient, so the 850W is probably still excessive.

Also, if it is mainly a gaming computer personally I would drop to an i5 750, P55 mobo and Dual channel RAM to save some money. The only downside to this is the x8/x8 lanes for XFire instead of x16/x16 but by the time the miniscule loss of performance matter you will likely be looking at a new computer anyway (hell, it will be a few years before you would even need to XFire 5870s)

GullMoli

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Regarding the mobo, the x58 is pretty future proof so I think I'll stick too it, I really want this thing to last quite some time so I wont have to upgrade on for the next couple of years, except for adding another GPU to the mix :sarcastic:

This is probably going to be the first and only time i spend this much money on a computer, so I want it to be extra good ;)