Your question
Solved

GPU power consumption vs wallet

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 4:07:51 AM

Hello all,

got a quick question, I am going to purchase a new graphics card for my box, and have done plenty of GPU research this past month trying to decide on the best card for my needs. There's a lot of discussion about power consumption on the new 470s and 480s, ("it can power a small city", "I can heat my room, cook my food, etc . . .") but what are some real world #s when it comes to electricity bill? Are we talking an extra $20/month?, 30? more? Anyone monitor power consumption : electricity bill? Id really like to hear from some of you who have kept tabs on this. Thanks in advance!

Mike

PS. I use my machine for both gaming and design work (maybe 30hrs/wk), and was considering the new nvidia cards because of cuda and the new adobe CS5 suite compatibility, namely the new 64bit capable after effects app/open GL, but heard so much about power consumption . . .

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 4:22:37 AM

This THG article will give you a ball park estimate: Power Consumption Test System And Electricity Cost
Remember - those are total system power costs and not just the video card.
Its not going to wreak havoc on your electricity bill.

Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 4:30:25 AM

PERFECT, that is what i was looking for, so it looks like about a $15/month cost (which is about $7 more than my current set up), not too bad, and those tests were for 40hrs/wk at 100% CPU and GPU, thanks for the info WR2!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 4:34:15 AM

Best answer selected by o-o.
!