Wd passport cannot access

my passport s/n-WDBACY5000ASL-00
Its recognized and show the partition for windows.but I cant access the hard and cannot format.what can I do..?
2 answers Last reply
More about passport access
  1. TestDisk, Data Recovery
    TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

    TestDisk Step By Step to recover lost partitions and repair damaged FAT/NTFS boot sector
    Recover deleted files from NTFS partition

    NOTE If seeked lost file are still missing, give PhotoRec a try. PhotoRec is a signature based file recovery utility and may be able to recover your data where other methods failed.

    PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.
  2. Uhg, nothing but problems with these passports. WD is sending my most recent passport failure to a data recovery lab. Lucky me, at least they are paying for it.

    I would FIRST, try it on a different computer.

    Common issues with these drives are
    Detects as Bad PCB device
    Keeps disconnecting
    Detects but can't access (doesn't appear in drive management)
    Can access, but all the data appears to be missing
    USB bus voltage starvation
    and probably a few others I haven't seen.

    Your best bet is to talk to WD support, post your question/issue in the 'portable drives' section of their forum and try to get the case escalated to an engineer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Partition Format Storage