Scythe setsugen, 5870, temps good or bad?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
hey all,

so i've just isntalled an aftermarket cooler (the scythe setsugen) on my 5870. not entirely sure about the temps under load.

vga.png

you can see the screenie of the first minutes of the stress test, before and after the OC. the GPU temp seems fine (very good actually) but the VRMs concern me.
now i know they get hotter than the other parts, but are these gonna cause long term issues?

my own research seems to indicate that below 100c is fine. can anyone say for sure?

welshmousepk

Distinguished
well the vrms didn't actually make ocntact with the HS itself, it came with little aluminium sinks. turns out the cooler was crap though, im back to the stock one.

little worried though, as i just ran a stress test to monitor temps and make sure the re-installation went okay, and my system crashed...

welshmousepk

Distinguished
with the stock cooler back on the temps seem fine. 30is at idle and about 58-62 at load. i just played few rounds of mw2 and it didn't crash, so im thinking its just the stress test that caused it, and it should be fine.

the only time i use that stress test usually is when overvolting, so maybe thats what stabilizes it.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
it did, at 900/1270.

but im running another now at 870mhz core and it seems fine. im thinking that i may have never been entirely stable at those settings.

ill try again at my uber OC settings and see how i fair. the temps certainly seem a little higher than before though. especially the VRAM which is at 8c under load. im notr sure if the thermal pads are making proper contact. and im guessing it would be bad to put TIM on them whiel the thermal pads are supposed to be there..

i tihnk its okay though. just annoying losing 4 hours of my time and half the skin off my fingers, and ending up worse off than i started...

I think you can buy new thermal pads (from somewhere).

Also, I like using the OCCT GPU stress tester because it has an error checking feature. You might get lower OCes because of it though, as I found my card worked for days with no issue at 825 with no voltage increase in games, but would give an error in minutes on that test.