Sign in with
Your question

Oops...using MS driver instead of manu.?

Last response: in Storage
July 11, 2012 10:10:33 AM

I just built my first machine, and installed win7 on my Vertex 3. I followed all the steps of updating the drivers, but I relied on the window Device Manager to do it for me, thinking it would go to the manu websites and download the latest drivers.

The driver that was installed for the vertex is 6.1.7600.13685. On OCZs website, I see the firmware version is 2.22.

I assume should change this? I haven't gotten too far along in my setup, so I guess it is better to do it now?

More about : oops driver manu

a b \ Driver
a c 88 G Storage
July 11, 2012 11:09:42 AM

The firmware and the driver are different things. The firmware is the control code for the embedded Sandforce controller on the SSD itself. The driver is the software component which allows the OS to communicate with it. 6.1.7600 is the Windows version number (6.1) and build number (7600). If you are using an Intel board I suggest that you install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers instead.
m
l
July 11, 2012 11:33:56 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

How can a find out what firmware version I am currently running?

By "intel board", I assume you mean a board compatible with an intel chip, and not just an intel brand? I am using a Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3.
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a c 88 G Storage
July 11, 2012 11:46:04 AM

whitenack said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

How can a find out what firmware version I am currently running?

By "intel board", I assume you mean a board compatible with an intel chip, and not just an intel brand? I am using a Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD3.

Yeah by Intel board I mean a board with an Intel chipset such as that one. You can find out what firmware version you are running by running the Sandforce updater from OCZ's website. Please note that your SSD must be attached to the Intel storage controller and must be operating in AHCI mode.
m
l
July 13, 2012 5:58:52 PM

Pinhedd said:
Yeah by Intel board I mean a board with an Intel chipset such as that one. You can find out what firmware version you are running by running the Sandforce updater from OCZ's website. Please note that your SSD must be attached to the Intel storage controller and must be operating in AHCI mode.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my delay. I had my PSU go out after 2 days so I have been distracted by that. I haven't received the replacement yet, but I have things set in motion and I am able to get back to this issue.

On OCZ's firmware site, it gives a big warning that updating the firmware when windows is running is not supported. Do I still go this route to find out what version I have? Will it give me the option to just see the version I have, or will it just automatically update it to the latest version? In other words, I don't want to start the update process and risk wiping out my drive if I already have the latest firmware.

Talk to me more about the Intel Storage Controller. Forgive my ignorance, I am a major noob. By Intel Storage Controller, are you talking about the IRST drivers again, or are you talking about a physical port on my motherboard? I have looked at the specs on my motherboard and there is no mention of what kind of SATAIII connector it is.

ETA NEVERMIND about the firmware question. I was able to do some digging on the OCZ support forum and found the answer on how to see what version I have.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 88 G Storage
July 13, 2012 6:17:08 PM

whitenack said:
Thanks for the reply and sorry for my delay. I had my PSU go out after 2 days so I have been distracted by that. I haven't received the replacement yet, but I have things set in motion and I am able to get back to this issue.

On OCZ's firmware site, it gives a big warning that updating the firmware when windows is running is not supported. Do I still go this route to find out what version I have? Will it give me the option to just see the version I have, or will it just automatically update it to the latest version? In other words, I don't want to start the update process and risk wiping out my drive if I already have the latest firmware.

Talk to me more about the Intel Storage Controller. Forgive my ignorance, I am a major noob. By Intel Storage Controller, are you talking about the IRST drivers again, or are you talking about a physical port on my motherboard? I have looked at the specs on my motherboard and there is no mention of what kind of SATAIII connector it is.

ETA NEVERMIND about the firmware question. I was able to do some digging on the OCZ support forum and found the answer on how to see what version I have.

Sandforce SSDs can be live updated and this includes the OCZ Vertex SSDs. It's not the wisest thing to do but I've live updated many of my Chronos drives and never had a problem. It's advisable to restart right away though. If you're concerned about live updating the drive, you can also update it from any linux live CD using the linux based updater.

The Intel storage controller is where the 4 SATA II and 2 of the SATA III ports are connected to. It is part of the Z77 chipset itself and will be present on all Z77 motherboards regardless of manufacturer. Many motherboard manufacturers add an additional storage controller from ASMedia or JMicron which provides an additional 2 SATA III ports. These add-in storage controllers are a huge pain in the ass to work with and it is not recommended to connect SSDs or boot devices to them.
m
l
July 13, 2012 7:13:07 PM

Thanks for the quick response. When I get my new PSU installed (it arrives Monday) I will check and see what version of firmware I am using. Hopefully it is up to date and all will be moot. If not, I'll probably have more questions regarding the linux updater.

I only have 4 SATAII and 2 SATAIII ports, so sounds like I am good on that score.

m
l
!