Sign in with
Your question

Help and advice with 4850 crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2010 11:44:25 AM

I recently purchased a second ATI 4850 to crossfire with my existing 4850 card. Although, when i plugged the card in, there seemed to be absolutely no difference in performance, some games actually have a lower framerate. I then relised that my board with its P35 chipset can cause bad performance with crossfire because of its 16x/4x configuration. Althought this is a bottleneck, I thought i should still at least see a small improvement. Am I wrong?

Spec:

Asrock 4core1600twins P35 Board
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.3Ghz
4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066Mhz
Gainward Radeon HD 4850 512MB
XFX Radeon HD 4850 512MB
4 HDD's
OCZ StealthXStream 600w PSU (not sure if this is a problem)
Windows Vista x64

I tried re-installing the Catalyst Control Center and completely removing and re-installing the drivers. I am running CCC 10.3 with the GPU clocks the same, Catalyst AI enabled and Vsync Disabled. I have also made sure that the power connections for each card are connected and I am using a single crossfire bridge. My chipset drivers are also the latest and Vista is on SP2 with all the latest updates.

In 3DMark06, My score went from 13200 to 17200 with 2 cards when I reinstalled the Chipset Drivers, which indicates that crossfire is working, although in my games, it is much different.

Crysis with Custom settings: 1 card gives 25fps, 2 gives around 20fps
Far Cry 2 Maxed: 1 card gives me 30fps, 2 gives around 8fps (MUCH WORSE)
BF:BC2 Maxed: 1 card gives me 25fps, 2 gives around 10fps (again, not good at all)

Dirt 2, COD4 and Just Cause 2 show no difference at all with 1 or 2 cards.

So, my questions are:

1. Is there anything I can do to increase performance, or is it normal that Crossfire just doesnt work at all on this board?
2. If No, What should I upgrade, Motherboard, PSU, or both?

Thanks in advance for the replys :) 

More about : advice 4850 crossfire

April 22, 2010 11:54:23 AM

Test the new card you bought individuall, make sure nothing's wrong with it. Make sure the Crossfire bridge is securely connected. Make sure that when you go to Device Manager you see both of them under Graphics.
April 22, 2010 2:12:18 PM

shadow187 said:
Test the new card you bought individuall, make sure nothing's wrong with it. Make sure the Crossfire bridge is securely connected. Make sure that when you go to Device Manager you see both of them under Graphics.

Thanks for the reply. I have tested the card, it seems to work properly. They both show up in device manager and crossfire is enabled. The strange thing I seem to notice is, when playing a game, card 1 has only 40-60% load, and card 2 (in the 4x slot) has full 100% load. this doesnt seem right.
April 22, 2010 4:47:53 PM

Are you monitors connected to the x4 card or the x16 card?
!