Cloning: 7 install: Include 100Mb system partition?

acousticdj

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I know, I know. I should have just not put it there during the install. It's there's now though lol. I've used clonezilla to back up XP installs many times. Simple: Copy OS partition to partition on backup drive and done. XP never added that stupid 100Mb partition though like 7 does by default. What do I do with that? Can I just clone the big part to my backup drive? Will I be able to restore the OS with just that portion? Or do I need to include the small part and do some goofy "multi-partition" to "one partition" or "full disk" to "partition" thing in clonezilla? Help?

Solution
Agree with Hawkeye22. One of the things Win 7 does is create a backup Partition for its use to restore automatically, corrupted system files if it has trouble booting. If it finds that Partition missing when it tries to boot, it cannot boot.

One small detail to watch for. In many cloning packages when you have more than one Partition on the Source HDD, the default option is to create the Partitions on the new Destination HDD using what is called Proportional sizing of the new Partitions. So, assuming your new HDD is larger that the old one, its Partitions will ALL be larger than those on the old Source. For example, if you old one is 500 GB and the new one is 2TB, that 100 MB backup Partition would become a 400 MB one on the new HDD...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Agree with Hawkeye22. One of the things Win 7 does is create a backup Partition for its use to restore automatically, corrupted system files if it has trouble booting. If it finds that Partition missing when it tries to boot, it cannot boot.

One small detail to watch for. In many cloning packages when you have more than one Partition on the Source HDD, the default option is to create the Partitions on the new Destination HDD using what is called Proportional sizing of the new Partitions. So, assuming your new HDD is larger that the old one, its Partitions will ALL be larger than those on the old Source. For example, if you old one is 500 GB and the new one is 2TB, that 100 MB backup Partition would become a 400 MB one on the new HDD. You don't need that - the data in it is still only under 100 MB. So, using the cloning software menus, you can intervene and set the sizes of the new Partitions on the Destination drive to whatever you want. In this case, make that one backup Partition still 100 MB on the new drive, and all the rest of it as the other Partition.

Solution

acousticdj

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Gotcha. So the person in that article made an actual restore image right? I just followed their instructions and created an image of the OS with 7 Backup &Restore and then created a recovery disk. The result was a folder with some xml files I think, a couple vhd files and some misc stuff. I should be able restore my OS to the way it is today if I need to in the future with the image I made and the recovery disk right? Thx