Need a new board for E6700 Core 2 Duo with DDR2 memory

AlanCFA

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I replaced the MB last June and noticed afterwards that the green light on the floppy drive was constantly on. I read on the Internet that this happens when the IDE cable has been installed upside down. But I was not going to open the case just for that.

However, yesterday I had a problem booting up and had to open the case, so I thought I'd fix this minor annoyance. I unplugged the cable from the drive and tried flipping it upside down and plugging it back in. That did not work. So I decided to do the same thing with the plug where it plugs into the MB and I did so while the computer was running. It instantly died. Hitting the power button does nothing yet there is an LED lit up so I know it has power. I posted on the ASUS forum and someone mentioned that it might be that the drive was not hot swappable so I should try resetting the BIOS and I did so, but with no luck.

So anyhow, I think that I need a new MB. My old board was an ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi and I had 4 gb of DDR2 RAM (Corsair) and an E6700 Core 2 Duo CPU. Now as I look at new boards, the array of info is huge especially since I am working with older hardware.

The information I show below are the items that I think are important for my application. But I want to make sure that I do not get a board and have something not work properly, so my question is if I have a board that supports Socket 775 Core 2 Duo and DDR2 800/667 memory, is that sufficient to guarantee that it will work? (and I realize that "guarantee" is a loaded word when it comes to computers)?

These are things I'd like or need to have:
ATX Form Factor
Socket 775
processor E6700 Core 2 Duo
need 6 SATA ports
at least 4 USB ports (6 olr 8 would be better)
DDR2 memory support (I have 4 gb)
6 audio ports

1 PCI Express x16 slot

I have been looking online and am considering the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR board. I was also considering looking at what ASUS had to offer.

I want to spend somewhere in the $80 to $130 range.

Any thoughts about this or other boards that would work given the above?
Thanks in advance
Alan

p.s. I hope this is an appropriate subsection in which to post.