Hello,
I've just built;
core i7 950
asus p6x58d-e
6gb (3x2gb) kingston hyperx t1 ddr3 2000mhz xmp
radeon hd5870
corsair hx1000 psu

and it wont post.
Ive tried 1 stick at a time of ram in each of the slots, first A1 then C1 (furthest from cpu as some ppl have suggested on other forums) and also B1.
And i tried all three sticks in all 6 slots.
The funny thing is it has posted, twice, once for 30 seconds or so, the other time for 2.5 minutes, long enough to begin windows installation....so i know all my components are fine (besides mobo... which im thinkin is the problem)
but yeah the other 50 times ive booted it it wont post at all.
DRAM LED is on, solid, but one time after it posted and then shut down, the dram led then blinked (even though i hadnt changed the RAM around.)
ive got a massive noctua cpu cooler,its making good contact, with a nice thin, evenly distributed layer of high quality thermal paste, so its not cpu over heating....
obviously i have my two pci-e 6pin power connectors in my hd5870, and i have both 12v power connectors (8pin cpu connector and the other 24 pin one or however many pins that thing is) into the mobo... so its not that either....

im thinking its either a faulty mobo or possibly a faulty psu?? not sure, so would like to know what this community thinks... thanks

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

If booting with one stick use the second DIMM slot closet to the CPU.

Just checking - I assume the 8-pin CPU, 24-pin main, and the 4/6-pin PCIe power is connected.

Try Clear CMOS button,

Next, it that fails my assumption other than the CPU improperly installed is a short. The simplest way is the Lazy-Man's Breadboard: unscrew all of the MOBO and PCIe screws, dangle the MOBO away from anything conductive & support on a towel. Try posting.

Failure, disconnect EVERYTHING possible: USB Keyboard/Mouse, HDD, DVD, 1 Stick, leaving the BARE minimum - even the USB headers. Verify main header is properly wired. Use the power button {or use a screwdriver/wire to short the PWRSW} to start & shutdown if post is successful.

DIMM Slots:
DDR3_GA.jpg

jmac_789

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
thanks for the quick response

as mentioned in my original post, i have all power cables connected, this aint my first build ;)

already tried clearing cmos

and had gone down to the bare bones, plugging components in one at a time.

anyway i decided it had to be component failure, so i took it to the shop i bought it, and they have a free service place there. so tomorrow i can expect a phone call and a guaranteed working computer :D

Free is good!

Yes, component failures are difficult to diagnose without replacements. Regarding PSU connectors -- heck I've pulled too hard on a modular PSU and disconnected the 'other' end; mis-wired, forgot stuff, etc. Jumpers fell off in the bag, there's a whole assortment of things.

Sounds like a nice shop - Good Luck!

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Did you change the settings to XMP or adjust them manually?
Asus' QVL shows that you have to run them at 1.65 volts in order to work at those speeds.

New Egg doesn't offer them any more & they don't have a good rating either:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104084

I have a similar setup:

P6X58D-E
i7 980X
Corsair 1000 watt
EVGA 480
6GB of Corsair Dominator

I was lucky & everything booted on the first try.