Sign in with
Your question

Power outage for 50ft connection

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 22, 2010 3:13:12 PM

I was finishing off the basement in my house when I got the idea to run an HDMI connection from one one side of the room to the other.

After a quick search I realized HMDI can't really travel very far. I found I can run HDMI over Cat5e cable, and go a lot longer. I actually only needed to go around 35 ft, but it was easier to buy 50ft of cable.

My Co-work then tried to hook up his ATI Graphic card (not sure which model) and was not getting a signal on his LG TV. (He was doing the same converting HDMI to cat5e). The Computer recognized his TV, but no signal would ever come across.

He said he even shorten his down to like 10ft and still couldn't get it to work. He then bought some cheap HDMI booster and that still didn't work. He then bought and HDMI cable and it worked.

We both think its his Graphic card not able to boost a single long enough.

So thats my question, do we know the difference in graphic cards that can do HDMI over longer distances? Or am I doomed to get some power booster anyways.

I have a Q6600 2.4 2gb of RAM, Dual Boot Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Right now I have a 8800 Gts 320gb of RAM.

My hope is to be able to play games on a 42" Panasonic Plasma HDTV. I just got crysis warhead wanting to play it in this setup.
Games would only be part of it, In theory if things work I might consider adding a Blu-ray player to my computer and use that.

I'm considering the ATI 5770.

Thanks
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 3:41:49 PM

Um... Cat5 has 8 conductors and HDMI has 19.... Are you using (3) Cat5 Cables to get the conductors you need?

Why not just get a 50Ft HDMI cable, you can get them for around $100 or less. However, if you are playing games on a tv 50ft away, how are you going to get the keyboard and mouse to work? Wireless? that may not go far enough.

Just move the PC when you want to do that or permanent move the PC? Isn't that easier?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 4:39:58 PM

LOL, Geeks all around.......
I fail to see the logic behind you coming to the conclusion that the problem is with the GPU???????
I'd like to quote the new Einsteins we have amidst us.....
"My Co-work then tried to hook up his ATI Graphic card (not sure which model) and was not getting a signal on his LG TV. (He was doing the same converting HDMI to cat5e). The Computer recognized his TV, but no signal would ever come across.

He said he even shorten his down to like 10ft and still couldn't get it to work. He then bought some cheap HDMI booster and that still didn't work. He then bought and HDMI cable and it worked. "

Logic tells it all.............. the cable which you made is faulty......
Redo the cable and see the results..... some wire in there is getting short ( LIKE A SHORT CIRCUIT and not Length wise)
Use a simple tester to see which wire it is and rectify the issue.
If it worked for you, it's going to work for him too.
m
l
!