glit1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Hello, So I am pretty much building a new computer what I have picked out are the following items:
AMD FX-4100 4-core processor
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM+3 Motherboard
NZXT Phantom Chassi
Corsair AX 750W PSU
ASUS GTX 560 TI Video Card
Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 16GB RAM
The thing is that I am not sure if I should pick a SSD or a HDD, now i do have a 1 TB harddrive in my old computer so if it is possible to use that in this build I will pick an SSD. What do you guys think?
Thanks

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
SSD: Fast, expensive, smaller capacity, not reccommended if you are constantly writing to it.
HDD: Slow, cheap, larger, tolerates frequent writes.

I would buy an SSD and put your OS and frequently used programs on it, and use the old hard drive for other stuff.

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Well what I would suggest is go with 8GB's of RAM because 16GB's is just an overkill, now for the SSD vs HDD question, I would get an SSD and then just keep your 1TB to store other things that you do not use often. Also I just got that same case and it is HUGE just letting you know haha I was not expecting it to be so big but it is a great case and good luck with your build!

thbrett

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Look I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying this but look I build a lot of PC's and after building them with SSD's I refuse to build them without one and at this point I feel it is foolish not to install one as they make the systems run so much faster also yes move the 1TB driver over for data use the SDD for programs I would not install one less then SATA III 120GB.

DarkOutlaw

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
SSD 60gb x 2 in a raid 0 - $110
HHD 1TB x 2 in raid 1 - ~$100 since you already have one. Just buy same speeds.

SSD's are getting more and more affordable every day. Newegg has OCZ Agility 3 60gb for $55 after mail in rebate. this would give you 120gb which should be enough for all your installs unless you go insane with them.

glit1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Thanks alot for the help guys, i already have all the items i listed except the HDD/SSD.
I think i've decided to go with the SSD but how do remove the OS from the HDD i have right now?

coper210

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

Well since you are changing all of your hard ware and not just the hard drive you will have to purchase another windows 7 product key or maybe you can contact Microsoft and explain what you are trying to do and maybe they will be nice enough to give you another product key but it is unlikely.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

^ 100% agree. I don't know who would hate on that sentiment, unless someone has serious budget restrictions it's one of the best upgrades you can make, even for an average user.

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
101 % agree. SATA III 120 GB min and reuse the 1TB HDD. I'm a noob, just build my first w/ 180 GB SSD (intel 330) and reused a 500 GB HDD for music and pics. My computer is 1 month old, with 2 games (World of Tanks and Diablo III) and the SSD is already 1/3 full.

The SSD is the best thing since sliced bread and cold beer. It's a constant source of a smile - I kid u not! Once you go SSD YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK !! I'm cheap - the SSD is very worth it - PERIOD. Buy it and move on to other tough decisions. Good Luck !

glit1

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Thanks alot guys just one more thing, what do I have to do with the old HDD before I put it in my new computer?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012

That is a good deal, yes. OCZ isn't the most highly reputed company, but they make good drives. Crucial M4s, Samsungs, and Intels are kinda the top tier manufacturers (mostly based on firmware stability and quality); performance is really not a huge differentiating factor between SSDs, as they are vastly superior to HDDs no matter what you get, but high IOPS is the best performance indicator.

I own two OCZ drives, and did end up needing to RMA one after about 6monthes, but they didn't hassle me at all (though i did have to call to get it shipped back, but they overnighted and upgraded the drive to a sata3 for me); overall, I'm fairly neutral towards them.