Closed

Graphics Card Recommendations?

Hello,

I have an old HP dc7600 business desktop with an Intel 945G chipset. I would like to buy a new graphics card for it. The CPU is an Intel Pentium 4 521 processor with HT 2.8GHz.

Any recommendations? I dont want the CPU to be a bottleneck for the GPU.

My PSU is rated at 365W so nothing too pwerful either.
14 answers Last reply
More about graphics card recommendations
  1. This is the most powerful GPU I can recommend HD4650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141113
    If you have the slimline version then you would need low profile http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102829
  2. Cool. thanks for the quick reply! how about any Nvidias? was looking at 9600GT. 9800GT is out of the question, i think.

    Just went to ATi website. 4650 needs a 400W PSU. Any other suggestions?
  3. ATI 4650 will run on a 250watt PSU. There are newer versions of 9800GT eco/green the don't need a power connection from the PSU they should run on your PSU.
    That manufacturers recommended power supply size is based on generic low quality units.
  4. hmm thanks for that.

    This got me thinking about upgrading to a pentium D dual core processor. there are plenty of second hand ones on ebay. just need to know the right combo of cpu n gpu.

    any thoughts? eg my mobo can handle intel pentium D 915, 925, 930,940, 945 and 950.

    what would you recommend and with which GPU?
  5. dont go for seconds dude
    think of the hardship the cpu would have gone through

    get a new Cpu and Gpu +Psu (if you can)

    intel i3(newmobo and ram)+HD5670+400W huntkey
  6. king game said:
    dont go for seconds dude
    think of the hardship the cpu would have gone through

    get a new Cpu and Gpu +Psu (if you can)

    intel i3(newmobo and ram)+HD5670+400W huntkey


    Well i bascially picked this computer up from the college dump so i didnt really wanna spend too much money on it.

    not really keen on spending a lot of money on it, the less the better :D
  7. A dual core would probably up the performance a bit even with HD4650.
  8. rolli59 said:
    A dual core would probably up the performance a bit even with HD4650.


    i can only get 2nd hand ones though. that ok? or would you agree with king game?
  9. k,
    its up to you
  10. The only way it is worth it is with a cheap second hand CPU. Buying it new is to expensive and the money would better be saved for a new system.
  11. rolli59 said:
    The only way it is worth it is with a cheap second hand CPU. Buying it new is to expensive and the money would better be saved for a new system.


    how does the 4650 compare to the GT240? also, i assume the 4650 does not require external power as i dont think i have the connectors from my psu. thanks!
  12. GT 240 is more powerful. Here is a test of HD5570 and both cards are used for reference; http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5570,2552.html
    You are correct 4650 does not need external power.
  13. rolli59 said:
    GT 240 is more powerful. Here is a test of HD5570 and both cards are used for reference; http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5570,2552.html
    You are correct 4650 does not need external power.

    thanks for all your advice. much appreciated
  14. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Hewlett Packard CPUs Graphics Product