GTX 460 1 Gb SLI on 700w??

milbrandt1

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
So I recently upgraded my entire pc besides my PSU, at the moment I have an OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w seen here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018&cm_re=ocz_700w-_-17-341-018-_-Product

The rest of my rig contains the following:
i7-860 @ 3.8
Corsair H50
3x Spinpoint F3s
GTX 460 1Gb
plus 3 case fans and DVD-Ram Drive

Anyways to get to my question, I'm thinking about adding another GTX 460 1Gb to my build but I'm not sure if my present PSU can handle it. Anyone with experience with this PSU or can chime in?

Thank you Again TH

image026.png

The GTX 460s in SLi are only pulling 470W from the wall, add in about 150W of CPU load and you are still good.

milbrandt1

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to try my luck with the OCZ. Is there a risk of physical damage going this route? Like cutting components short?

Also, WR2, or any of you guys, have any idea where I can get that GTX 460 EVGA Precision Skin on WR2's FudZilla link? I want that thing haha

And Timop thanks for the reply, I feel like you're always there when I ask a question haha, and I appreciate that, Thanks Again

G

When running any computer on a power supply that has a chance of not being powerful enough, there is a small potential of parts being damaged. With a unit from OCZ you should be fine though because you can be certain that it will have an overload control which will shut it down if you're trying to draw more power from it than is safe.

EDIT:
precision.jpg

Source

What even is the precision skin? A physical skin or what?

G

Ah right, thanks. I thought that it could be the name of the program but then I thought it would be silly to call a program a "skin" xD

It's obvious now; should've worked it out really.

I'd roll back your CPU overclock to stock for your initial testing. Once you have your system running stable and have tested everything out under load you can start bumping up your CPU in increments, testing as you go.
That should reduce the chance of an unpleasant experience.

I did find one 'knock' on the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w Hotbox @ HardOCP
I'm pretty sure that unusually hot PSU/case condition they're talking about won't apply to you. The PSU pulled is full rated power @ 40C.

That control panel skin is probably part of the EVGA software package for it's GTX 460.
I didn't see a download option for the control panel software.

milbrandt1

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Thanks Alot for this WR2, and you're right, I just explored the software disc that came with the GPU and the skin was on there. If anyone wants them (460, 465, 470, 480) let me know and I can upload them to Megaupload.

milbrandt1

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Lucky for me I already have like 4 of them :D , Thank You for the response

G

With dual rail PSUs, it is set up so that the CPU draws power from one +12v rail and EVERYTHING else from the other. Therefore it won't actually make a difference.