ericthestorm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
My current build is getting old - and having some issues somewhere along the line.
Now, this is my current build and I've decided its time to upgrade some of the parts.
Anyways my issue before I list the parts is that I'm trying to run Bad Company 2 and I'm getting 7-11 fps...
Also, upon loading my system it doesn't go on... the LED and fans and Power Supply go on... but the Motherboard doesn't post... after about 30-seconds to a minute... I'll hit reset and then it will post and load up... assuming that its a motherboard issue.
Now for the system (and I shouldn't get 11 fps) - (On windows 7 64 bit)
-Mobo: Asus P5NSLI (This board might very well be the issue)
-CPU: Intel Core 2 E6400 2.13GHz
-HDD: 320 GB Sata
-Graphics: nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
-600W Coolmax Green Power
-RAM: 2GB DDR2 G-Skill and 1GB DDR2 Corsair (3GB total)

So... All for nothing my laptop is killing it.
What I'm looking at is:
-I plan on Keeping the GeForce 8800GTS as for BF BC2 it should perform well...
-4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 From G.Skill
-AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
-Motherboard is the last part im going to upgrade with this... I'm looking for a board that will unlock the 2 extra cores on the X2 but also be able to game on it... I'm on a budget and hoping to keep it cheap!
I'm currently looking at the BIOSTAR A770E3... Anyone have any input?

:] -ETS

Have you tried overclocking your Intel e6400? 3 gb of ram is pretty good. I would clean up your hardrive and consider a newer video card, though the power supply is marginal for some high end cards. If you don't have room for a ps and video upgrade, you may be disappointed with your results.

ericthestorm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Is the graphics card that out of date?
What would be a solid low-budget card?

Overclocking on the Asus p5NSLI is impossible; they have it completely disabled.

So, the motherboard is definitely causing many issues -> And lets be honest the GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB should not be getting 7-11 fps on low.

Yep! you would need a GTX 460 for a meaningful upgrade.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gaming-graphics-card,2857-7.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gaming-graphics-card,2857.html