Cannot update need help ASAP [not the sap in the tree]

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I need some help and do not know where to start

For one thing my Outlook Express does not work because it will not recognize
my password. I have reset it 100 times, I even had the IP techs come here
and check it out & they said they can't fix it & to use hotmail instead of
outlook express. I want to run Outlook 2003 instead but same problem. I
cannot even update my spyware either. When I try AVG a message says:

Internet Connection has failed. Please check your connections.

When I try Adaware it says:

41 days since last update.

Then; Error retrieving update

Installed definitions file: SE1R21 03.12.2004

Installed core applications: 1.05 Personal

I have a D-Link router but I cannot access the settings to set it again.

I try like the book says http://192.168.0.1 but it goes to a web page
instead, I cannot change my settings.

I am running XP Pro with a DI-604 router with 2 computers hooked to it and
everything is still configured correctly and the permissions are the same.
They can all get to Internet.

What can I do>>>Desperate here!

Thanks for any help

Bruce
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot update asap tree
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:32:54 -0700, Bruce Lawrence wrote:

    > I need some help and do not know where to start
    >
    > For one thing my Outlook Express does not work because it will not recognize
    > my password. I have reset it 100 times, I even had the IP techs come here
    > and check it out & they said they can't fix it & to use hotmail instead of
    > outlook express. I want to run Outlook 2003 instead but same problem.

    Is it not recognizing your password or are you seeing a number of masking
    dots that do not equal the number of characters in your password? XP uses
    masking dots (usually 16) regardless of the password length. Usually just
    logging on with that masked password is all that is necessary.

    If it truly is not remembering your password, the main identity may be
    corrup. Try creating a new identity and test to see if the problem
    persists.

    Also, see this article by MVP Doug Knox about OE not saving passwords. The
    fix applies to Outlook as well as OE:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm

    > I cannot even update my spyware either. When I try AVG a message says:
    > Internet Connection has failed. Please check your connections.
    > When I try Adaware it says:
    > 41 days since last update.
    > Then; Error retrieving update
    > Installed definitions file: SE1R21 03.12.2004
    > Installed core applications: 1.05 Personal

    Servers for each of these programs have trouble on and off (they're very
    busy). Try a different server or visit the websites and download the
    updates and install them manually.

    > I have a D-Link router but I cannot access the settings to set it again.
    >
    > I try like the book says http://192.168.0.1 but it goes to a web page
    > instead, I cannot change my settings.

    The URL is normal as most routers use the IE interface to display their
    configuration pages. You should be seeing a place to type in your login
    password (the one for the router, not windows). Consult book for default
    password. If you're unable to get to the configuration pages for the
    router, call DLink customer support and have them walk you through it.

    > I am running XP Pro with a DI-604 router with 2 computers hooked to it and
    > everything is still configured correctly and the permissions are the same.
    > They can all get to Internet.
    >
    > What can I do>>>Desperate here!

    Well, something's working right with the router since all PC's can get to
    the internet. If you have other network configuration problems, ask in the
    windowsxp.network_web newsgroup.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Configuration Outlook Express Microsoft Windows XP