Best processor for starcraft 2

G

Which of these is better for starcraft 2: dual core processor 2.8 Ghz or triple core processor 2.13 Ghz.

loneninja

Distinguished
We need more information, which processors are they? I think the 2.8Ghz dual core would be better as I've heard the game doesn't use more than 2 threads, but if it's a Pentium D than it's just plain garbage the the Phenom X3 will perform better.

loneninja

Distinguished
Yeah, I3 is a dual core processor, don't know who told you it's a triple core. The only triple core processors are AMD's Athlon II X3/Phenom X3/Phenom II X3.

I'm thinking the Athlon II would be faster, but it won't be a big difference as the I3 has a higher IPC, it's really going to come down to what video card their paired with.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Sc2 currently is optimized for 2 physical cores, it will use more then that and get performance gains, but the gains will be smaller.

2 Cores High clock is how i would go. SC2 loves higher clock speeds.

Timop

Distinguished

Well, the 555 and the i3-540 comes really close.

Looks like SC2 like big L3s and bandwidth..

Timop

Distinguished

Well, K10 performs quite a bit slower than Westmere/Nehalem clock for clock, so its pretty normal, also considering the $20 price difference.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
StarCraft II loves Intel's Triple Channel Memory interface (on socket 1366). It is also a big fan of Intel's L3 Caching mechanism (which sustains a higher bandwidth throughput than AMDs L3 cache).

Too bad it is only Dual Core enabled of we'd see the Core i7 920 really pulling ahead of the pack there.

loneninja

Distinguished

That one in your link is still integrated graphics, and because of the graphics you'd be playing the game on low and a possibility it would still lag. I'm not to sure how it'll run on integrated graphics. Of course you could always add your own graphics card to that computer.

lee3821

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010

Oh dear...Integrated graphics will be your downfall if you're attempting to play SCII, even if it's the 4200 Mobility. (I'm posting on my laptop with a GMA X3100, which can run it, but it's not pretty.) I would personally suggest that you build your own computer, but if that's off the table, then you should be able to add a graphics card. I'm a fan of the 4870, which you can still get used on eBay. I'd guess that most would be relatively trustworthy as they are often sold when people get upgrades. However, I'm no expert on the subject. It depends upon preferences as well as budget.

Latest posts