SSD and windows reinstall?

I am a few clicks away from ordering a samsung 830 ssd, and before i make my purchase, i would like to know what will happen when i re install windows onto my ssd? I bought a copy of windows 7 and i already have it installed onto my HDD. When i receive my SSD, and re install windows onto my SSD will i need to buy a new product key for windows, or will it not matter?
10 answers Last reply
More about windows reinstall
  1. No, you can use your same Product Key. Microsoft considers you to have a "new" system when you change motherboards.
  2. ok, so it wont recognize any change unless i change my motherboard?
  3. Windows will recognize the change but you don't have to buy another Product Key.
  4. Would i be able to migrate my anti virus software from my hdd to my ssd? I realized that when i do a fresh install of windows to my ssd my kaspersky won't work since it won't be in registry. If i migrate it from my hdd to my ssd i should have no problems right?

One last question, am i able to just migrate my antivirus over to my ssd from my hdd, or will i have to migrate everything with it?
  5. Why can't you just re-install it?
  6. Because i don't have enough product keys. It is a 3 time use, i have used up the third use on my hdd.
  7. In that case instead of doing a fresh install you would have to migrate your HDD to your SDD. Check the contents of the SSD and see if it comes with software to do that.

Also FYI, I used to be a die-hard user of paid anti-virus software (Norton). I switched to Microsoft Security Essentials (free) about 3 years ago and haven't regretted it.
  8. You can use Windows 7 "back-up" features to make a copy of your hdd. After you have made a back-up use the windows 7 back-up tools to make a bootable cd or dvd. Then, install your ssd. Use the bootable cd or dvd that you made and tell it to restore to your new ssd. And I agree with Dereck. Microsoft Security essentials works just fine.
  9. Thank you, i will be sure to migrate my files. One last question with a migrate program, will i be able to choose what i want to migrate, or does everything have to be transferred?
  10. Thank you, i will be sure to migrate my files. One last question with a migrate program, will i be able to choose what i want to migrate, or does everything have to be transferred?[/quotemsg

The only way I can think of to do that would be to un-install everything you don't want to be on the new ssd before you make your full back-up. But, once you make that back-up, it will all be on the new ssd when you do the recovery procedure.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Samsung Storage