CPU for Encoding Blu-Ray to x264

jfpannone

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I'm looking to get into Blu-Ray ripping and encoding to x264, but am a bit confused as to what I should do with my current setup.

I currently have a core i7 rig (specs in profile) and a Pentium D rig (2.8 Ghz, 4GB DDR2). The latter is my old machine and I still use it for some work related tasks. I have almost fully migrated over to the the core i7 and would like to use the Pentium D rig as a torrent and perhaps encoding machine (obviously would have to upgrade mobo and cpu for encoding). Encoding upgrades would be a new motherboard that can accomodate a 64-bit setup, core 2 quad and double memory to 4GB (luckily have some laying around). Nothing too expensive; about $200-$300 upgrade.

I understand encoding to x264 (especially if the result is 1080p) can take a very long time (up to 24 hrs and over, depending on machine). Having said that, I lean towards upgrading the pentium D rig because I use the core i7 often. Mainly for work, but also entertainment (Movies/Games).

What I would like to know is

1- will my core i7 rig be able to handle the encoding while I'm working, watching hd movies, or gaming?
2- will a core 2 quad 2.5 Ghz with 8GB DDR2 be sufficient for 1080p encoding? and how long would it take?
**this machine would only be encoding and managing torrent uploads/downloads.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

JP

You might not need as much on an upgrade as you think for the torrent/encoding system.
Besides the Pentium D 2.8 Ghz (820?) what is the rest of the hardware you have in that older system. I'm most interested in what video card you might have.

jfpannone

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010

yup, it's an 820. the video card is an Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT; 1GB.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

1. Yes it could handle such a task but why do such a thing when you have a second rig sitting there doing nothing.

2. Yes... more than sufficient. The length of time is relative to the encoder being used and the quality settings/filters being used. If you want to know the amount of time relative to the Pentium D system... I'd say around 6-8x less time working on the same material (from experience).

You could always (for ~$300) look towards a Phenom II X6 1055T + motherboard for that task though. Just a suggestion. 6 Cores and very cheap.

jfpannone

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010

Agreed. I always was leaning toward a new Motherboard & CPU. I only wanted to cultivate all possibilities before moving forward :) Elmo, As you have suggested, in addition to wisecracker above, I think I will pursue the AMD 6 core route. I can re-use my 4GB and add another 4GB that's laying around. Luckily all 8GB's are supported by mobo wisecracker recommended.

Thanks for all the help everyone. next step --- Newegg!