400 Euro (!) partial system-upgrade (MB,CPU,RAM)

G

Hey everyone,

my old MB is going down and I guess I have to do at least a partial system-upgrade.
I'm planning on spending 400 Euro max for a CPU, MB and fitting RAM. The rest of the system will be reused.
SO here we go:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: as soon as possible and before my system completely fries

BUDGET RANGE: ca. 400€ (about 500$ ???), no rebates (there is no such thing here in Germany, as far as I know)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, watching movies, surfing the internet, work

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: PSU (450W be quiet! BQT-E5-450W), GPU (MSI R4870-MD1G), monitor (Samsung 2443FW), HDD (1x Samsung HD252KJ, 1x Samsung HD502HJ), keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS (Win7 64-bit), probably my old PCI(!)-TVcard, but that is no must have

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I would like to stay in Germany for ordering items, my favourite internet-stores are
Home of Hardware www.hoh.de
Winner Computer www.winnercomputer.de
MandM Computer www.mmcomputer.de
Cyberport www.cyberport.de
(sorry, no english versions available :-(

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Germany

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like to use an Intel-CPU (i3, i5?), Gigabyte was recommended to me as MB-manufacturer

OVERCLOCKING: No
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: A quiet PC would be nice, but I guess the included CPU-fan will be fine for the beginning.
I'm not sure about the CPU though, an i3 seems fine but will it be enough for the next 2 to 4 years, e.g. if I'm buying a new GPU?
The mainboard should provide enough opportunities for upgrades in the next 2 to 4 years (better GPU, other CPU, more RAM, other/more HDDs, maybe a blueraydrive).

It's completely okay if you could recommend me the parts through www.newegg.com , I will convert the prices into € and will check the items in "my" stores.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Greets,

DJBuzzDee

The i3 isn't that good for gaming. I'd avoid them altogether.

Frankly, Intel is a poor choice right now if you're really worried about being able to drop in another CPU. They're moving on to new sockets in the next year, so I wouldn't expect any more CPUs for the LGA1156 socket.

I'd look at a X4 955 and Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3, with some 1333 mhz CAS Latency 7 sticks. That cost you around 300 Euros (it's about $350).