Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Samsung 830 Boot/BCD Error

Last response: in Storage
July 12, 2012 2:17:55 AM

Hello all.

I could really use some help with my new Samsung 830. I did a Fresh install to the drive and upon booting I get This error:

File: \Boot\Bcd
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

The computer restarted and windows loaded just fine. Shut it down because of some driver installations, problem occurred again. Restarts, all is well. By now I know something is wrong. Shut the computer down then back on and the problem was there again. What I've done so far:

-Use the windows 7 disk to repair startup...no fix
-repair the mbr... no fix
-Use EasyBCD to fix the BCD fle...no fix
-Use EasyBCD to write over the MBR file...no fix.

My mother board is an Asus P5N-D so AHCI isnt the issue (not supported). Is there a permanent fix for this or should I return the drive as it may be faulty?

Best solution

a b Ô Samsung
a c 523 G Storage
July 12, 2012 2:36:21 AM

Update the firmware on your drive to version CXM03B1Q.
Update your motherboard's BIOS to version 1401.
July 12, 2012 2:42:04 AM

I'll have to double check my bios version, but the drive said that it was running the latest firmware which is the one you listed.
m
l
Related resources
July 12, 2012 3:09:49 AM

Updated to 1401 and completely shut down/started up a few times with no issues. if it happens again I'll report back.
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
a c 523 G Storage
July 12, 2012 3:32:32 AM

If it happens again Secure Erase the SSD to restore it to fresh-out-of-the-box condition, and then do another fresh install of Windows. Don't pre-install any drivers, just let Windows install its own default drivers. You can install any drivers after installation is complete.

If you have any other drives in your system leave them disconnected until after the Windows installation is complete.

m
l
July 12, 2012 3:43:59 AM

Seems to working just fine now. I did those steps (uninstalled all other hard drives) when I did this fresh install. It seems the bios update addressed more than what it said on the Asus site (core temp readings). Thanks for all your help. If the issue comes back, I'll be sure to post up. Thanks again.
m
l
July 17, 2012 4:46:54 PM

JRDesigns said:
Seems to working just fine now. I did those steps (uninstalled all other hard drives) when I did this fresh install. It seems the bios update addressed more than what it said on the Asus site (core temp readings). Thanks for all your help. If the issue comes back, I'll be sure to post up. Thanks again.

I have exactly the same issue, updated the bios to 1401 but still having the BOOT/BCD issue. just wondering whether I have the bad drive or the motherboard (asus p5n-d) doesn't support SSD
m
l
July 19, 2012 12:53:38 AM

Can you get into windows at all? If you can, download EASYBCD and try rewriting the BCD and MBR file for the SSD drive. I did that along with the bios update and the problem has not been back since.
m
l
July 22, 2012 12:41:07 AM

Best answer selected by JRDesigns.
m
l
!