IDE CD-ROM inaccessible

After a format/XP install from on a Presario 2100 notebook, the IDE CD-ROM
device is no longer accessible. Device is not present in device manager.
Device can't be accessed through XP boot disks or DOS boot disks with general
IDE drivers. Tried removing and replacing drive to ensure secure connection.
Attempted modifying registry as described in knowledge base. Attempted using
restore to revert to restore point created immediately following XP install.
I'd suspect device failure, except for that device worked flawlessly before
and DURING installation.
The problem seems hopeless to me, but I was hoping some of you guys might be
able to offer some help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about inaccessible

    On 30/01/2005 1:27 PM jxyoox spoke:
    > After a format/XP install from on a Presario 2100 notebook, the IDE CD-ROM
    > device is no longer accessible. Device is not present in device manager.
    > Device can't be accessed through XP boot disks or DOS boot disks with general
    > IDE drivers. Tried removing and replacing drive to ensure secure connection.
    > Attempted modifying registry as described in knowledge base. Attempted using
    > restore to revert to restore point created immediately following XP install.
    > I'd suspect device failure, except for that device worked flawlessly before
    > and DURING installation.
    > The problem seems hopeless to me, but I was hoping some of you guys might be
    > able to offer some help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    If it can't be be accessed from a DOS boot disk anymore then I would say
    something killed it.

    Do you hear it spin up when the computer boots?
    Put a CD in the drive.
    The door opens, right?
    If not, check that the power cable is connected or try a different one.

    Try the drive in another computer.

    Hm,
    I'm not familiar w/ Presario BIOS but here are some things you want to try.
    Check if the CD-ROM is enabled in BIOS. If that option is not available, you
    might find something like "Boot from CD" in the Boot section of the BIOS.
    Also, make sure the IDE devices are enabled, that the CD drive is "found" at
    POST - should be in some BOOT sequence POST screen.
    Also, try to disable Quickboot option if available.
    Michael

    "Bob Lockie" <bob.lockie@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
    > On 30/01/2005 1:27 PM jxyoox spoke:
    >> After a format/XP install from on a Presario 2100 notebook, the IDE
    >> CD-ROM device is no longer accessible. Device is not present in device
    >> manager. Device can't be accessed through XP boot disks or DOS boot disks
    >> with general IDE drivers. Tried removing and replacing drive to ensure
    >> secure connection. Attempted modifying registry as described in knowledge
    >> base. Attempted using restore to revert to restore point created
    >> immediately following XP install. I'd suspect device failure, except for
    >> that device worked flawlessly before and DURING installation. The problem
    >> seems hopeless to me, but I was hoping some of you guys might be able to
    >> offer some help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >
    > If it can't be be accessed from a DOS boot disk anymore then I would say
    > something killed it.
    >
    > Do you hear it spin up when the computer boots?
    > Put a CD in the drive.
    > The door opens, right?
    > If not, check that the power cable is connected or try a different one.
    >
    > Try the drive in another computer.

Configuration CD-Rom Devices Windows XP