Zijn

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Hello,

Seeing as my PC at the moment has gone tits up i see it as an opportunity to get a new rig and go balls out!

i7 980x
SLi 480 FTW
12gb DDR3
3x 23.6" 3D monitors... Blah blah blah and so forth!

Sounded all great to me seeing that i would be purchasing this within the next month or so, but i came across this article about Intel coming out with a new socket in 2011 that is going to replace the x58.

http://www.overclockers.com/intel-replace-lga1366-socket-2011/

"Intel’s current high-end socket for consumer processors, best known as LGA1366, is supposedly set to be replaced by a new part in 2011. According to information obtained by Bit-Tech, the new socket would come in the second half of 2011 and with it several new features to accommodate future processors. Along with the new part, Intel will inevitably be releasing a new chipset to be at the center of the new platform.

If manufacturer Intel stands true to its actual naming scheme, the new chipset should be called X68. Sources indicates that the new silicon is expected to implement more PCI-E lanes than the current X58, although it is still unclear if those lanes will be of the 2.0 or 3.0 type. The new platform is also rumored to have four memory channels, evolving from the triple-channel memory design of the X58. The new quadruple-channel memory system should allow for only one DIMM to be installed per channel to allow for maximum bandwidth. New motherboards will therefore be built with only four memory slots.

The new X68 chipset and its accompanying unnamed socket will mark the end of the LGA1366 domination as the high-end socket for consumers systems. Introduced in late 2008, it will have seen more than three years of service. The new platform will most likely be released at the same time as Intel’s upcoming processors featuring eight physical cores, capable of sixteen threads thanks to Intel’s hyper threading technology."

SO!.. Should i get minor upgrades and go full whack in 2011 (this year is going pretty fast to be honest!), or just get what i had intended to in the 1st place and make do seeing as it will be "kick-ass" as well?

Cheers :hello:

beerhelmet

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
define "tits up"
if its unusable then go with new computer now
if usable give us some specs to work with
the problem with waiting for the newest tech to come out and getting it right away is that the usual bumps and hitches r not kinked out yet

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'd say go ahead and buy now. My old AMD Socket 939 system could handle anything I threw at it (even Crysis at a mix of Med/High settings). I seriously doubt that just because a new chipset/socket comes out, a relatively new 1366 socket motherboard is going hold you back any. However, you will want to look for boards that include newer technology (USB 3.0/SATA 6.0).

-Wolf sends

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
1366 is actually quite old. 2years is a lot in the computing world, but that doesn't mean the new socket will be better. So if your current system failed completely go for the i7 980x now for the reasons wolf mentioned which I agree with. If your mobo/ram/cpu still works decently buy the other parts and upgrade that later.

just my 2 cents

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
If you wait to buy your dream machine and get something low-end to hold you over, you'll be disappointed and end up spending more money in the long run. The next generation of chips will have a performance improvement, but it's more likely to be a 20-30% improvement than it is to be a 300% improvement in performance.

Buy now, but I'd suggest either posting again in this thread or creating a new thread to get a build. You have a number of problems with the proposed specs. If you're just gaming, the i7-980X is terrible value. One 480 can't drive 3 monitors. 12 GB of RAM is great for video/audio editing, but unnecessary for gaming.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Good catch. I must be a little tired, I was reading that as a brand for some reason.

2 480s can, in fact, drive 3 monitors, but it's reported to be somewhat less pleasing than Eyefinity. ATI, of course, doesn't do 3D.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
seriously? I thought it came put ages ago. Since they were always talking about it in the 480gtx videos. Thats kind a stupid lol. And yeah 480's generally fail on multiple monitors due to their high res. issues. But its the only way you'll get 3d vision surround.

banthracis

Distinguished

It's Nvidia. I wouldn't be surprised if they talked about a the GTX 600 tomorrow and acted like it's been out since last year. :D