Upgrading ATI HD 3870

oxman1969

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I have a dell XPS 420 with a 375w PSU. My ATI HD 3870 just quit. What would be the best GPU I could replace it without breaking the bank but still upgrading?

I agree. I wouldn't purchase new hardware on ebay. I go to newegg for all my computer needs because I know any returns are handled fast and done correctly. I've spend THOUSANDS with them over the last.... 5-6 years or so. I think I've had about 3 or 4 returns and each time I called, they provided me a free return shipping label, even though their site says returns are your responsibility, and it was handled very quickly.

Honestly I would just get this one. It's $160 which is the going rate for a standard 5770. Has free shipping and no MIR to bother with.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-462-_-Product

Not really. I believe they are all using the reference cards, which means they get their board from ATI. Some install their own cooling solution, but I don't think there are any bad ones out there. You are really paying for the support and warranty if you have issues with it down the road. I've heard PowerColor isn't the greatest in that area. XFX is among the best as they have a double lifetime warranty (meaning you can transfer the warranty to someone else. But you have to register your product to get the lifetime warranty or it is 1 year). They also have great support. I've had several Asus products and I am actually in the process of an RMA for my 5870 and they are great to work with. In country support is nice to.

If it were me I'd go for the XFX.

Not sure I would run a 5770 off of a 375W PSU. Of course, it uses about as much power as your old 3870, but hey it's up to you. As for the IT guy, who knows what his reasons are. Right now ATI cards offer the better price/performance ratio and of course offer nice things like eyefinity :D. He could just be an nVidia fan guy, or he could have had bad experience back before AMD bought ATI and their drivers were still crappy, or worse, back in the 8500 days :eek: (one of them killed my epox 8kha2+).

His 375watt should be equal to many lesser 450watt units. It has 30amps on the +12volt rail if I remember correctly.

It is excatly that. You have people who cheer for the red team and people who cheer for the green team. I don't really care just give me a good card. And right now ATI is the one to get.

TRENDING THREADS