Can Intel(R) G33/G31 run dual monitors

su3ncom4t

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,
I have a Intel(R) G33/G31/P35 Express and wonder if I could run dual monitors on it. The tower only shows one port, but the menu for the graphics says for multiple display:note: Two displays must be connected to the computer before you can use this feature. Please connect another dispay. Does that mean the only thing I have to do is buy a Y splitter/adapter and it will work or do I still need to purchase another video card?

Thanks Joanna

G33/G31/P35 are all 3 different chipsets. Do you have a specific model motherboard or model PC?

No a Y splitter would not work. You need 2 separate outputs. Some chipsets support dual outputs, however, it is up to the motherboard manufacture to make dual ports available if they desire.

If you want dual outputs, usually the best option is to get a desktop graphics card that has dual outputs. Many times this is the best solution because they support higher resolutions, have dedicated video memory, and do not consume other resources to operate that onboard graphics do.

su3ncom4t

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010

I have a Dell Inspiron 53 that I purchased Feb of 08. I know that it is an Intel (R) G33/G31 version 7.14.10.1437. What would you suggest purchasing? It is my home computer for personal use and I don't do gaming. I would really like the convience of dual monitors since I do use my computer for mutilpy apps like paying bills, check books, ect. and then I have to friends that call wanting me to look stuff up for them or give them directions so I really would like to have dual monitors. I think they are awsome.

su3ncom4t

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
I have a Dell Inspiron 53 that I purchased Feb of 08. I know that it is an Intel (R) G33/G31 version 7.14.10.1437. What would you suggest purchasing? It is my home computer for personal use and I don't do gaming. I would really like the convience of dual monitors since I do use my computer for mutilpy apps like paying bills, check books, ect. and then I have to friends that call wanting me to look stuff up for them or give them directions so I really would like to have dual monitors. I think they are awsome.

Something like an ATI 4550 or 5450 would probably do everything you want. Even a 4350 if you want to go lower end. There are also Nvidia GT210 and GT220 cards.

Just watch the outputs some of them have either a display port or HDMI port. If they have an HDMI port you can only use 2 of the 3 outputs. If it has display port, just verify that is supports ATI eyefinity, which is ATI's 3 output setup. Just to let you know.