Feb 23, 2010
System Info:
MSI P4n Diamond MB
Seagate 1.5TB HDD
Intel P4 3.2
MSI n210 MD512H Video card
2gb Corsair memory
OS - Windows 7 64 bit

Dug this mb out of a box of PC parts and made up a great outdoor garage PC for a music jukebox. The manufacturers website: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=1&prod_no=187

Lists drivers at the bottom of page but only for xp 32/64...Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

audiohere

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
yes, besides "buy a cheap sound card that works...", that's kind of an obvious solution, just trying to work with what I have already: 1. A MB with sound onboard, 2. An Audigy PCI card, 3. Old Sound Blaster 16 PCI card..
The drivers that creative lists for the Audigy don't work either..

Yah - Microsoft rebuilt the whole audio stack when they did Vista. And Creative are a bunch of basta.... Ummm.... ...no longer support Windows XP era products on Operating Systems other than the ones they were designed to run on..

The other solution would be to wipe the computer and install XP. If you have an XP license and media available by some means, that would be free.

{edit} ...come to think of it, it may be a good idea to wipe the computer anyhow. Does nothing to solve your sound card problem. But you don't know what's on the thing.

audiohere

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Yes, I do have access to xp pro with key but I've had problems in the past trying to communicate with my 2 other machines that run win 7 64 (one of which contains my mp3's) so I'd prefer to stick with win7.

You may be stuck, then.

A while ago (around Vista release time), someone crafted some drivers that enabled some of the old sound cards to work on Vista. And Vista drivers work on Win 7. So that's a possibility, but obviously hit or miss - nothing anyone could support. They're not really legal, in fact Creative actually Sued the guy who wrote them for IP (intellectual property, in this case) violation. But there are some "in the wild" that you might be able to obtain over the web. DanielK is the name of the creator.

Stern warning, though: you never know who did what to this kind of stuff. So be aware that whatever you might download and install must operate in unprotected space (it's a driver, after all). Trojans.. bots... You never know.