Sign in with
Your question

Computer crashes while gaming.

Last response: in Systems
May 25, 2010 7:00:38 PM

Hi,

My computer keeps crashing after about 1/2 hour of gaming, I mean either weird color pattern on screen and stuck sound and then reboot or black screen and reboot. Ive tried both BFBC2 of full graphics and CS on lowest the result is almost identical. When idle stays on with no problem over several days. I dont think its an overheating problem since I have liquid cooled setup for both cpu and gpu, however I will further test this aspect, but again as i said it is unlikely. Could someone please help with any suggestions, concerning the cause of the problem?

My setup:

AMD 955 cpu at 3.5GHz
2x5870 powercolor LCS (not overclocked yet)
Gygabite 790fx-ud5p motherboard
8gb g-skill memory at 1600
Xilence 850W psu

I have 2 separate loops for gpus and cpu, both with 1 laing ddc 18W pump. Gpu loop has a black ice gtx 280mm radiator and a serial connection between the cards, i have an in-line temp probe and the temp never goes over 40C on the out-take. Cpu has a 120mm xspc rx radiator. 4x case fans, 1 intake 3 out-take, Coolermaster cosmos 1000 case.

Many thanks in advance....
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2010 7:15:39 PM

Well, if you have assured stability on the overclocked ram and CPU then the most likely culprit could be drivers.
I would also wonder if that PSU is up to snuff. I would ensure both GPU's have the required amps available on their rails, I am unfamiliar with Xilence so I may be ignorant but it sounds a bit dubious to me.
Check those two things first.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2010 7:45:47 PM

I had that exact problem when the bios settings for my RAM were wrong (RAM voltage too low, NB voltage too low).

Its also possible that the PSU cant quite handle everything. Try removing a 5870 and see if it still has a problem.
Related resources
May 25, 2010 8:00:32 PM

buzznut said:
Well, if you have assured stability on the overclocked ram and CPU then the most likely culprit could be drivers.
I would also wonder if that PSU is up to snuff. I would ensure both GPU's have the required amps available on their rails, I am unfamiliar with Xilence so I may be ignorant but it sounds a bit dubious to me.
Check those two things first.

Any suggestions in terms of software i could use to do that?
May 25, 2010 8:01:01 PM

If the psu cant handle it, shoudnt it crash on POST?

Psu could be the problem, just realised I forgot to mention I have 5 harddrives installed...
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 25, 2010 8:11:51 PM

da908 said:
If the psu cant handle it, shoudnt it crash on POST?

Psu could be the problem, just realised I forgot to mention I have 5 harddrives installed...

It'll crash once the GPU's want more power than the PSU can deliver. This doesn't usually happen till they're under load.

Memtest for RAM stability. 8 passes minimum.
Prime95 for CPU testing. 12 hrs minimum.

http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
May 26, 2010 1:08:28 AM

The ram and cpu are definitely stable, do you know how I can find out for sure if my psu is up for it?

Tested the system by burning the graphics cards with MSI Kombustor, result was temps got up to 50C on both cards and similar on CPU when the computer crashed. It also wouldn't start until I unplugged the cable from the mains socket and plugged it back in.... any ideas?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2010 1:48:23 AM

Have you actually tested those components or are you just assuming they're stable?

If you haven't tested you can't say it is.

Most probable issue is the PSU though. Swap it with one known to work and try it.
May 26, 2010 2:40:00 AM

If switching out the PSU doesn't work, try removing the overclock back to factory settings and see if the issue doesn't stop.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2010 3:07:40 PM

Five hard drives will use less than 100 watts if they are relatively new.

Power consumption of graphics cards doubles at least when they shift from a 2D desktop load to a 3D gaming load.

Try borrowing a similar sized, known good PSU for testing.

After that, when you start testing, the first thing that you should do is remove the overclock.

The next thing is remove the second graphics card. You should be able to unplug the cables and, leaving it in place, unplug the card from the motherboard. Maybe you can block it in place with some pieces of foam. That way, you won't need to disturb the plumbing.

And like banthracis asked, "How do you know the motherboard, CPU, and memory are stable?." What kind of testing did you do?

That's why I run memtest, Prime95 small fft's, and Prime95 blend each for 24 hours on a new, overclocked system. If I have stability problems, I can at least initially assume that the basic hardware is good.

May 26, 2010 3:13:03 PM

Switching the power supply for the one that will definitely work will cost me :??:  ... so if there is maybe another way?

I've had this setup for half a year already, and I never had a problem with memory or CPU instability. Do you think I still need to test it?

The last thing I did was change the cooling setup from triple loop, separate for each gpu and corsair h50 for cpu, to dual loop with both gpus in one loop and cpu in the other. That is why I am surprised that the system suddenly became unstable, considering there is no overheating issues.

What I am trying to say is that I have not increased the power usage since the last configuration that I had, which was absolutely stable for a considerate amount of time.

Is it possible that the RAM or the bridges are overheating? Since I have a lot of piping inside the case which could obstruct the flow of air.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2010 3:39:38 PM

You can DL HW monitor to see actual temps, but I doubt it's overheating.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor/versions-histo...

If you've never tested RAM, yes it's entirely possible you've been using bad RAM all along and it's just gotten more and more bad sectors as time went on, till now that it's no longer stable.

Also, you can borrow a PSU from a friend, or just find a store with a good return policy nearby.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2010 3:43:46 PM

Grr can't edit my own post!!

Anyway, wanted to add that part's wear down and break over time, and OC's especially will wear down parts faster, what worked today may not tomorrow.
May 26, 2010 8:24:13 PM

I've clocked everything to its original settings, than ran the Kombustor and it took twice as long to crash. Does any one know any good stores in London to try out a PSU, or maybe online stores?

Also, how accurate are the wattage calculators online?

I ran the one on Antec website, which seems to be the most up to date one (with 10% capacitor wear) it produced a result of about 930W, considering my PSU is a 850W one.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2010 8:28:09 PM

They range from mild over estimates to outright ridiculously unnecessary.

That particular build would run fine on a good 750W PSU

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 26, 2010 8:29:03 PM

I'm from NYC so can't help you on store choice.
!