Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

undeletable file problem

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 9:56:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Greetings! I was cleaning up some old files on my computer (WinXP)
and found a file in 'My Documents' folder called "When photographers
get bored.." with no extension which apparently was created or
downloaded on 09/16/2004. When I attempt to delete the file, I get
the error: Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or
disk. I get the same error if I try to move or copy the file
someplace else. It is a zero byte file with no other attributes, and
I do not have a clue where it came from, or how it may have been
created. Other than formatting my C drive to get rid of it, does
anyone have a suggestion or advice on how I can remove this pesky
file? The file does not appear to be having any adverse affects on
my computer, I believe it was left over from some file I may have
downloaded. Thanks

dennis Z
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:04:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi

Try deleting the file from a command prompt.

--


Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"dennis z" <denchaz@charter.net> wrote in message
news:GpfLd.21417$8j6.10801@fe03.lga...
> Greetings! I was cleaning up some old files on my computer (WinXP) and
> found a file in 'My Documents' folder called "When photographers get
> bored.." with no extension which apparently was created or downloaded on
> 09/16/2004. When I attempt to delete the file, I get the error: Cannot
> delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk. I get the same
> error if I try to move or copy the file someplace else. It is a zero byte
> file with no other attributes, and I do not have a clue where it came
> from, or how it may have been created. Other than formatting my C drive
> to get rid of it, does anyone have a suggestion or advice on how I can
> remove this pesky file? The file does not appear to be having any adverse
> affects on my computer, I believe it was left over from some file I may
> have downloaded. Thanks
>
> dennis Z
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:04:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Will, thanks for the reply. I tried that also, but the file does not
show in the command prompt window when I ran the "dir /o/p" command to
locate it before trying to delete it. I'm used to using DOS windows
cuz my first computer was back in '95 running Win 3.1. I even tried
moving all the folders and files from the "My Documents" directory
except the bad file, then went to a command prompt window and used the
delete all command (del *.*) with no success. Hopefully there is a
way to remove the file without having to format the hard drive. As I
mentioned in my post, it is a zero byte file with no extension except
for 2 (two) periods. Thanks



On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:04:18 -0000, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>Try deleting the file from a command prompt.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:17:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hi

Try using

dir /a/s

to see if the file can be located.

--


Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"dcz" <denchaz@charter.net> wrote in message
news:qolrv05vddqppc25bhlchevsqdekt9g41u@4ax.com...
> Will, thanks for the reply. I tried that also, but the file does not
> show in the command prompt window when I ran the "dir /o/p" command to
> locate it before trying to delete it. I'm used to using DOS windows
> cuz my first computer was back in '95 running Win 3.1. I even tried
> moving all the folders and files from the "My Documents" directory
> except the bad file, then went to a command prompt window and used the
> delete all command (del *.*) with no success. Hopefully there is a
> way to remove the file without having to format the hard drive. As I
> mentioned in my post, it is a zero byte file with no extension except
> for 2 (two) periods. Thanks
>
>
>
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:04:18 -0000, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Try deleting the file from a command prompt.
>
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:17:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> Try using
>
> dir /a/s
>
> to see if the file can be located.
>
Hello,
I found the file now in the command prompt window using dir /a/o/p,
and tried to delete it using the del command, but got the error:
Could not find C:\Documents and Settings\etc.... Is there another
way to get it recognized and removed? Thanks
!