undeletable file problem

Greetings! I was cleaning up some old files on my computer (WinXP)
and found a file in 'My Documents' folder called "When photographers
get bored.." with no extension which apparently was created or
downloaded on 09/16/2004. When I attempt to delete the file, I get
the error: Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or
disk. I get the same error if I try to move or copy the file
someplace else. It is a zero byte file with no other attributes, and
I do not have a clue where it came from, or how it may have been
created. Other than formatting my C drive to get rid of it, does
anyone have a suggestion or advice on how I can remove this pesky
file? The file does not appear to be having any adverse affects on
my computer, I believe it was left over from some file I may have
downloaded. Thanks

dennis Z
4 answers Last reply
More about undeletable file problem

    Hi

    Try deleting the file from a command prompt.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "dennis z" <denchaz@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings! I was cleaning up some old files on my computer (WinXP) and
    > found a file in 'My Documents' folder called "When photographers get
    > bored.." with no extension which apparently was created or downloaded on
    > 09/16/2004. When I attempt to delete the file, I get the error: Cannot
    > delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk. I get the same
    > error if I try to move or copy the file someplace else. It is a zero byte
    > file with no other attributes, and I do not have a clue where it came
    > from, or how it may have been created. Other than formatting my C drive
    > to get rid of it, does anyone have a suggestion or advice on how I can
    > remove this pesky file? The file does not appear to be having any adverse
    > affects on my computer, I believe it was left over from some file I may
    > have downloaded. Thanks
    >
    > dennis Z

    Will, thanks for the reply. I tried that also, but the file does not
    show in the command prompt window when I ran the "dir /o/p" command to
    locate it before trying to delete it. I'm used to using DOS windows
    cuz my first computer was back in '95 running Win 3.1. I even tried
    moving all the folders and files from the "My Documents" directory
    except the bad file, then went to a command prompt window and used the
    delete all command (del *.*) with no success. Hopefully there is a
    way to remove the file without having to format the hard drive. As I
    mentioned in my post, it is a zero byte file with no extension except
    for 2 (two) periods. Thanks

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:04:18 -0000, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Try deleting the file from a command prompt.

    Hi

    Try using

    dir /a/s

    to see if the file can be located.

    --

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Try using
    >
    > dir /a/s
    >
    > to see if the file can be located.

    Hello,
    I found the file now in the command prompt window using dir /a/o/p,
    and tried to delete it using the del command, but got the error:
    Could not find C:\Documents and Settings\etc.... Is there another
    way to get it recognized and removed? Thanks

Configuration Windows XP