• Processors
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
July 29, 2010 1:55:40 AM

Hello,

I was wondering which processor is better Phenom ii x4 or a Athlon ii x4

I know the generic answer is " Phenoms are better"
But what really makes them better
for example..... They have L3 Cache etc etc....

These are the two CPUs specifically: Athlon ii x4 635 and

the Phenom ii x4 945

Thanks!

More about : phenom athlon quad cores

July 29, 2010 2:08:11 AM

alexfromarchitecture said:
Hello,

I was wondering which processor is better Phenom ii x4 or a Athlon ii x4

I know the generic answer is " Phenoms are better"
But what really makes them better
for example..... They have L3 Cache etc etc....

These are the two CPUs specifically: Athlon ii x4 635 and

the Phenom ii x4 945

Thanks!

Okey Dokey. The Phenom II x4 945 is better. First off, (obviously) the Phenom is running 100 MHz faster. Next, you are right - the Phenom II has L3 cache (6 mb) while the Athlon does not.

Basically Phenom II is a very high-end Athlon which gives you certain advantages. The Phenom II can deliver higher gaming performance, overclocking headroom, and can deal with intense workloads without breaking a sweat. If you plan on gaming, doing media creation, intense digital editing, or anything really cutting edge I would spend the extra forty or so dollars for the Phenom II, otherwise the Athlon II is a great CPU!

Sources: AMD, Newegg, years of experience, my brain, the voices in my head, my phenom II processor
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2010 2:11:07 AM

^ What he said, however, there are three advantages that a athlon ii has on a phenom ii. First, It runs cooler than the phenom. Second, It generally uses less power. Third, Its cheaper.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 29, 2010 2:14:03 AM

Computerrock1 said:
^ What he said, however, there are three advantages that a athlon ii has on a phenom ii. First, It runs cooler than the phenom. Second, It generally uses less power. Third, Its cheaper.

In this case, the Athlon and the Phenom chosen but use the same power on average. Of course I don't know if alexfromarchitecture plans on OC'ing or if the Phenom II is the best fit. Overall, it is the "better" CPU in general.
m
l
July 29, 2010 2:24:57 AM

I do not plan on overclocking it,

I just want a computer that can play high end games and SC2! :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2010 2:30:38 AM

Go for the Phenom II, especially if you don't plan on oc'ing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2010 3:31:03 AM

makwy2 said:
Okey Dokey. The Phenom II x4 945 is better. First off, (obviously) the Phenom is running 100 MHz faster. Next, you are right - the Phenom II has L3 cache (6 mb) while the Athlon does not.

Basically Phenom II is a very high-end Athlon which gives you certain advantages. The Phenom II can deliver higher gaming performance, overclocking headroom, and can deal with intense workloads without breaking a sweat. If you plan on gaming, doing media creation, intense digital editing, or anything really cutting edge I would spend the extra forty or so dollars for the Phenom II, otherwise the Athlon II is a great CPU!

Sources: AMD, Newegg, years of experience, my brain, the voices in my head, my phenom II processor

+1 for phenom II.

If you were going to overclock, i would recommended the Athlon II's as there not much of a difference performance wise between them when there at the same GHz but scene your not overclocking, the higher GH'z Phenom II's will be better option.

m
l
July 29, 2010 4:19:04 AM

I hate to belabor the point but my recommendation even though you don't plan to OC would still be Phenom II hands down for high-end gaming! :) 
m
l
July 29, 2010 7:42:47 AM

warmon6, if the OP does plan to OC, I think the athlon 2 would be counter productive, because the higher the cpu frequency, the more prominent is that L3 cache.
I was wondering, instead of releasing the 1090t cpu, would it have been better to release a 6 core cpu with 9mb cache @ 2.8ghz for 250$? What I want to know is.......how practical is this thought. I mean, would increasing the L3 cache from 6 to 9 mb require a complete change in the cpu architecture? If it were really practical, what costs does it entail(not just $ but power,heat etc). Seeing, the atholon 2 vs phenom 2(635 vs 945 have same speeds,power and heat numbers), I think a cost of 50$ for 3 mb cache isnt impossible. Any idea? I wonder what performance numbers would this result.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2010 1:19:53 PM

wrazor said:
warmon6, if the OP does plan to OC, I think the athlon 2 would be counter productive, because the higher the cpu frequency, the more prominent is that L3 cache.
I was wondering, instead of releasing the 1090t cpu, would it have been better to release a 6 core cpu with 9mb cache @ 2.8ghz for 250$? What I want to know is.......how practical is this thought. I mean, would increasing the L3 cache from 6 to 9 mb require a complete change in the cpu architecture? If it were really practical, what costs does it entail(not just $ but power,heat etc). Seeing, the atholon 2 vs phenom 2(635 vs 945 have same speeds,power and heat numbers), I think a cost of 50$ for 3 mb cache isnt impossible. Any idea? I wonder what performance numbers would this result.

Well for you're question about having more L3 cache in the x6's.

Really, the only reason why i think they couldn't add more is due to space. With jamming 2 extra cores on the 45mn process + the size of the die there able to work with, there isn't any room to add any more l3 cache. Now if you view the core i7 980x and 970, both hex cores like the phenom ii x6's but with the those i7's on the 32nm process, intel had the extra room to put 12MB of cache. Now if the die was larger for the cache (with a larger socket than am3 is) ,on the 32nm process, or both they could have the room on the die to add 9 to 12 mbs of cache.

As for the l3 cache and cpu speed. It's will really depend on what you're using that will make the L3 cache beneficial or not.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,241...

If you can use the l3 cache to the fullest, great! :)  Some apps/games like L4D saw a 20% boost in performance just from L3 cache on the phenom ii at the same GHz as the athlon II.

Although overall, most apps dont use the l3 cache to the fullest so the gains can be pretty minimal. So even with the l3 cache more prominent with cpu running at high speeds, if the program doesn't use it effectively, what gains would you really see? ;) 

If the L3 was a little better used by more programs, i would recommend the Phenom ii's over the athlon II's a bit more but unless you're running something like cad, video rendering, ect (the only time i recommend the phenom ii's over the athlon and those would be the x6's), i just typically say get an athlonII and overclock.

Then again, that just my option and not the rest of community. ;)  Everyone thinks differently.
m
l