Odd problem when i disconnect old hdd

jugzor_111

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I installed Windows 7 on my new SSD. When I turn on my computer, the Windows Boot Manager comes up. It asks to me to select from two instances of Windows 7 to boot. One is Windows 7 on my new SSD, the other is Windows 7 on my old HDD. I select my Windows 7 on my new SSD as the boot option, and it boots up fine.

After this, I tried to disconnected the HDD and I just left the SSD connected. This time, when I turn the computer on, I get the "reboot and select proper boot device" message. Why am I getting this problem?

I'll list all my specs, incase it helps. I'll also post a shot of the disk management screen, so you guys can check it out.

http://i.imgur.com/MLF22.jpg

SSD: Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5 SSD SATA 6GB/s

HDD: Not sure about HDD specs, but it's a bit more than 500 GB and I connect it with a sata cable

PSU: Cooler Master RS550-PCARE3-US eXtreme Power Plus Series 550W ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC Power Supply

RAM: 4 x 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz DDR3

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K Processor 3.4 Ghz 4 Core LGA 1155

MOBO: ASRock z68 extreme4 gen3 lga 1155

bucknutty

Distinguished
My guess is that when you installed windows to the SSD the windows installer saw the working windows on the old drive and decided to use that boot loader.

As nhasian stated. I would unplug the old HDD and then repair the boot loader from the windows 7 recovery console (this is mostly automated) and should start after a failed boot attempt, or do a repair installation form the DVD.

jugzor_111

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I tried doing the start up repair. However, the problem still remains. Any other suggestions? If it helps, in the system recovery options, my operating system was not listed. I'm not sure that is normal or not, but maybe it'll help in figuring out what's going on?

It says to load drivers if operating system is not listed, but i'm not sure what driver's its referring to. My SSD didn't come with a disc for drivers or anything.

Here's a pic of what I'm referring to.
http://imgur.com/4t7TR

I have a question, do you think that lack of power might be a reason that would be causing this problem? Cause ever since I upgraded my comp, I've been worried about whether or not my PSU will have enough power to power everything. Does it seem like I have enough power, given my specs in the OP?

jugzor_111

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I managed to fix it in an odd fashion. I instead try to do a repair installation of windows. Except, I canceled it immediately because I thought I accidentally had it do another installation, instead of just a repair. When I stopped it, I recieved a bootmgr is missing error. However, once I did a start up a repair at that point, my operating system showed up on the list. So when I did the repair, everything worked. Thanks guys!