Something is defective..

Zackarak

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Hello,
I get 1 short 1 long beep during post and can't enter BIOS unless I reset BIOS. When I can't enter i get the message "Wait..." in the middle of the screen and have to hard reset the PC.

When I reset CMOS I can enter BIOS a few times(It's random) and then be greeted with the same message again.

I have gotten lots of BSODS/freezes recently. Mostly when I play games. I thought this was an overheat issue but it appears it isn't.

I RMA'd my motherboard thinking it was faulty but just got a mail saying it works. They also got 1 POST beep during tests.

So what other component(s) do you guys think could cause these issues?

Something that makes me not able to enter BIOS and, the POST Beep is 1 short 1 long??

Your motherboard owners manual should tell you exactly what one short and one long beep mean. My guess is it's RAM related. We have a sticky that was created to troubleshoot this exact type of problem. There's a link to the sticky in my signature. Let us know how it goes after you've performed EVERY step in the checklist.

Zackarak

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I checked my motherboard's manual and I saw nothing about 1 short 1 long beep. I did however say that 1 short beep is:
VGA detected
Quick boot set to disabled
No Keyboard detected

The motherboard is ASUS M4N82 Deluxe.

Could RAM or any other component corrupt the BIOS in a way that I can't enter it as described in the first post? And what does the "Wait..." message mean? I have done a google on that and only 1-2 threads showed up about it. There were no information though.

Sounds like a RAM issue to me. What exact RAM do you have? Have you manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated specs in the BIOS? Faulty RAM and incorrect RAM settings in the BIOS are easily the #1 cause of BSOD's. Have you tried booting with each stick of RAM by itself?

Zackarak

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I got the Corsair 4gb dominator ones. RAM speed, timings and voltage are all auto. Yes I have tried to boot with 1 stick. Still got the POST beep 1 short 1 long though.

Still sounds like a RAM issue to me. Everything I've read concerning 1 short and 1 long BIOS beep refers to RAM. Your RAM is not likely to work correctly under "auto" settings since it requires 2.1v to operate at its rated values. I would reset the CMOS and then try to boot with each stick by itself again. If you can get the system to boot, the first thing you should do is manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to its rated values in the BIOS. You should then perform an overnight Memtest86+ test to check for RAM errors.

What happens if you try to boot with no RAM installed? Your beep codes should change if the motherboard is working correctly.

Zackarak

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Yea without any RAM installed I get some sort of continous beep.
I can boot the system just fine. During the POST I get 1 short 1 long beep though and then it boots to windows. And I experience freezes randomly and BSODs mostly when I play games.

Where do I check what values I should set for the RAM speed, timings and voltage?

Zackarak

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Ok I'll try it once I get my motherboard back from the reseller.
Thanks for the help and I'll post the results once I'm done testing!

Zackarak

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Okay,
I got my motherboard back and tried an old 512 DDR2 RAM Module and still got 1 short 1 long beep. I tried my usual RAM with manual speed, timings and voltage but It wouldn't POST. I tried to change only the speed and voltage and still no POST. Also tried 1 module at a time without any luck.

The following link is a sound file with the beep code.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jnyiuyjkuit

My specs are
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
Motherboard: ASUS M4N82 Deluxe
RAM: Corsair TWIN 2X 4096-8500C5D
CPU cooler: Zalman 9700
Video Card: nVidia Geforce 250 GTS
Power Supply: Corsair TX 650
Hard drive(s): 1x 500GB
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit
Case: Cooler Master Mystique 631

Zackarak

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I tried two old graphics cards. One of them were nVidia Geforce 8600 GT. I put it in the PCI-E 8x and got 1 beep during post. But when I tried to enter BIOS I got the message "Wait...". It's random but I think it happens if I boot to Windows then reboot and try to enter bios.

So this got me thinking that maybe the PCI-E 16x slots were faulty and tried the GTS 250 in the 8x but the POST beeep was 1 short 1 long. I have 2x GTS 250. Usually running SLI.

TRENDING THREADS