Seagate external hard light flashing

Cayl200

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I plugged in my hard drive and a message appeared saying "installing update...update installed, easy to use.". But when I go into My Computer, the drive isn't showing. In addition the light on my hd is flashing. any help would be great.

you should go to disk manager and see if it shows the drive you connected, and if it has any active partitions. you may need to format the partition as NTFS if you haven't already done so.

Inside the enclosure is a USB-SATA bridge board. On this board is a USB-SATA bridge controller IC made by Initio Corp. When this chip powers up, it fetches its firmware from an 8-pin serial flash memory IC. If this chip is corrupt, as could happen as a result of a failed firmware update, then the bridge IC prepares itself to receive a firmware download. In this case it identifies itself as an "Initio Default Controller", in the same way that a new board with a blank flash memory does.

Another reason for this behaviour is if the bridge IC is unable to identify the drive behind the bridge. Sometimes this can be due to insufficient power. If the drive is port powered, then try a USB Y-cable. This will pick up power from two USB ports. USB 2.0 is current limited to 500mA, but 2.5" drives may require up to 1A during spinup.

TRENDING THREADS