Sign in with
Your question

Help with Over heating CPU

Last response: in CPUs
July 29, 2010 3:21:57 AM

I just recently re-applied new Arctic Silver Matrix thermal paste to my AM2 64 X2 5400+ cpu which was just over a week ago an my temps still seem very high compared to what they were before, 86F Idle/122F or so Load now my temps are 98F Idle-144F Load.
I'm starting to wonder if it was really worth trying out AS Matrix an not AS5 but I also went with it cause its non-conductive which I liked but now I'm starting to wonder is it really worth it or does this paste have a REALLY long cure period >.<.

More about : heating cpu

July 29, 2010 3:37:34 AM

kaitheus said:
I just recently re-applied new Arctic Silver Matrix thermal paste to my AM2 64 X2 5400+ cpu which was just over a week ago an my temps still seem very high compared to what they were before, 86F Idle/122F or so Load now my temps are 98F Idle-144F Load.
I'm starting to wonder if it was really worth trying out AS Matrix an not AS5 but I also went with it cause its non-conductive which I liked but now I'm starting to wonder is it really worth it or does this paste have a REALLY long cure period >.<.

CPU temp is measured in Celcius - maybe that's the source of your problem??
a c 107 à CPUs
July 29, 2010 4:45:50 AM

According to Arctic Silver, Inc. it will take Matrix a minimum of 300 hours and multiple thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity.

Arctic Silver 5 takes up to 200 hours.
Related resources
July 29, 2010 4:50:42 AM

No the temps I have above are correct, if my CPU was at 98c (98x1.8+32=208.4F) it would have fried the cpu at that temp >.>,
atm my highest temps are just under 150F an I really don't like that temp what I don't get is my temps raise extremely fast (36c-45c) even if I'm just watching youtube vids X_X, so either this thermal paste is crap or it hasn't cured >.>. I'm not too sure as this is the 1st time I have used AS Matrix. It does how ever cool right down when my PCs completely idle.
July 29, 2010 4:59:16 AM

ko888 said:
According to Arctic Silver, Inc. it will take Matrix a minimum of 300 hours and multiple thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity.

Arctic Silver 5 takes up to 200 hours.

Geez that's nearly a full month of waiting X_X, do the temps start to lower more an more as it cures or is it an all at once deal ? I'm kind of thinking it gradually lowers as it cures that would make the most sense to me lols.

a c 107 à CPUs
July 29, 2010 5:04:59 AM

The temperature should get better over time, but that's only if you've applied it properly.
July 29, 2010 5:38:53 PM

I applied the paste as a small cross going from 1 corner to another (Not completely to each corner, about less then halfway) then I placed the HS on an booted up this methods worked well for me in the past so I'm pretty sure its been applied as properly as possible lol.
July 30, 2010 5:04:47 PM

I just installed Speed-Fan and MSI Dual Core Center an there both reading the same but different then Core temp so now I'm thinking that Core Temps not reading my temps right, Speed-Fan & Dual Core Center both read 120F-125F while I'm playing ME2 and Core Temp reads 139F-145F+ in ME2. Also even when I test the HS (touching it) the HS feels pretty cool, so with that said I'm pretty sure Core Temps giving false temps. >.<
!