Newly built htpc has choppy hd video playback

mcashatt01

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Hi all, i am a newb so bare with me if i sound stupid. I just built my first pc which happens to b an HTPC. i am getting choppy playback when playing any hd movie file. i have searched all over the web and cant really find anything and I believe is because i don't really know what to ask. any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. see build below

motherboard: gigabyte ga-ma785gmt-ud2h AM3 AMD 785G chipset m atx (has radeon hd 4200 integrated

CPU: athlon II X2 250

HDD: WD CAVIAR GREEN 1tb

memory: crucial 2x1gb 240 pin dimm 128mx64 ddr3 pc3 10600

case: antec nsk2480 with 380w psu

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Just finished up on a similar issue ... turned out to be the GREEN drive was not "good".

... OP ended up using a diff 7200 model ... worked great.

Still .. It is too early in THIS thread to say anything, for certain ... just wanted to make sure the GREEN report got posted here, since one just failed (affecting video) on an adjacent thread.

= Al =

mcashatt01

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and using XBMC to play the movie files. My drivers are all up to date and I do have the files on the HDD. I haven't been monitoring cpu specs at all but will look into that and post back. Thanks for the quick response.

mcashatt01

Distinguished
May 25, 2010

Thanks Alvin, I lly looked at that post earlier today, it does make me wonder if switching the drive out for a 7200 may fix the problem.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
If it does turn out to be the drive ... these are your best replcement options (will work).

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB 7200RPM

.. or ..

Seagate 7200.12 (1TB model)

Both are under $90 ... The Seagate sometimes sells for $75 ... now it is $80.

AGAIN ... I just wanted to get this info posted ... for reference ... if/when needed.

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
And, by setup ... I am NOT talking about the HDD (though) ...

... I just meant that your IGP and proc look good ...

I would suggest more ram, tho ... make sure you are sharing as much RAM with the IGP as bios will allow ... more ram (2 more GB) would not hurt anything ... might help.

= Al =

4745454b

Titan
I'm not that familiar with the 4200. You sure it handles 1080 video decode? Even with 2GBs of ram and a slow dual core? I'm also not sure of XBMC. I'm thinking this is the Xbox media player? Are you trying to stream something you downloaded off xbox live to your computer? If so, and if the 4200 can handle 1080 content, I'm thinking the issue with your dual core.