Why "infinity focus" mode?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 12, 2004 3:44:26 AM

Why do cameras have an "infinity focus" mode? Is it only for when you
shoot through glass or a mesh, or might there be other reasons the
camera has trouble focusing on infinity?

--
- Eolake
--

More about : infinity focus mode

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:44:27 AM

"Eolake Stobblehouse" <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in message
> Why do cameras have an "infinity focus" mode? Is it only for when you
> shoot through glass or a mesh, or might there be other reasons the
> camera has trouble focusing on infinity?

Scenery at night where the autofocus might work poorly (e.g., expanses of
city lights, where the autofocus zone happens to be empty)...

Astronomical photography...

Photography through scientific instruments where you want to aim the camera
into the eyepiece, with the camera's focus locked...

And if you are going to have manual focus at all, infinity has to be the end
of its range.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 4:21:08 AM

Eolake Stobblehouse <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in

> Why do cameras have an "infinity focus" mode? Is it only for when you
> shoot through glass or a mesh, or might there be other reasons the
> camera has trouble focusing on infinity?

Many cameras have problems focussing when it is dark.

/Roland
December 12, 2004 4:24:56 AM

On 12/11/04 6:44 PM, in article
121220040044265148%eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net, "Eolake Stobblehouse"
<eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote:

> Why do cameras have an "infinity focus" mode? Is it only for when you
> shoot through glass or a mesh, or might there be other reasons the
> camera has trouble focusing on infinity?
Not sure that I fully understand your question, but a camera/lens focus on
infinity can change based on atmospheric conditions and temperature changes
- thus the need to allow some degree of change in infinity focus.
Chuck
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:04:03 PM

Roland Karlsson wrote:
> Eolake Stobblehouse <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in
>
>> Why do cameras have an "infinity focus" mode? Is it only for when you
>> shoot through glass or a mesh, or might there be other reasons the
>> camera has trouble focusing on infinity?
>>

> Many cameras have problems focussing when it is dark.
>

> /Roland

That's true, but ut has very little todo with infinity focusing... You can
have total darkness and you still can't get a focused picture if you set the
camera to infinity and try to shoot an object, 1 or 2 m away...
It's meant for distant objects, where camera can't focus any longer just
because of to long distance and also because at that long distance it's no
longer any difference to change focus anymore. You can't measure 100 m if
the camera can measure only up to 50m...
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 1:04:04 PM

SleeperMan wrote:
> Roland Karlsson wrote:
>
>>Eolake Stobblehouse <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in
>>

>>>Why do cameras have an "infinity focus" mode? Is it only for when you
>>>shoot through glass or a mesh, or might there be other reasons the
>>>camera has trouble focusing on infinity?
>>>

>>Many cameras have problems focussing when it is dark.
>>

>>/Roland
>

> That's true, but ut has very little todo with infinity focusing... You can
> have total darkness and you still can't get a focused picture if you set the
> camera to infinity and try to shoot an object, 1 or 2 m away...
> It's meant for distant objects, where camera can't focus any longer just
> because of to long distance and also because at that long distance it's no
> longer any difference to change focus anymore. You can't measure 100 m if
> the camera can measure only up to 50m...

The mode setting conserves battery power, and time since the camera can
just skip the autofocus process entirely. I use if for landscape
pictures, or any subject greater than 50 feet from the camera.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Michael A. Covington wrote:
> "Eolake Stobblehouse" <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in
> message news:121220040044265148%eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net...
>> Why do cameras have an "infinity focus" mode? Is it only for when you
>> shoot through glass or a mesh, or might there be other reasons the
>> camera has trouble focusing on infinity?
>
> Scenery at night where the autofocus might work poorly (e.g.,
> expanses of city lights, where the autofocus zone happens to be
> empty)...

AS said elsewhere, you can't solve this by infinity - there are two
different things...if the camera can't focus in the dark, you must help
yourself by other things, like pointing laser beam into the object, or very
narrow hand torch...

> Astronomical photography...
>
> Photography through scientific instruments where you want to aim the
> camera into the eyepiece, with the camera's focus locked...

again not hte same thing - above claim would be named manual focus, not
infinity. Did you ever try to set the camera to infinity and shoot an object
(even through glass...) which is 1 m away? i guess not...

> And if you are going to have manual focus at all, infinity has to be
> the end of its range.

at last true
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:09:31 PM

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in

> That's true, but ut has very little todo with infinity focusing... You
> can have total darkness and you still can't get a focused picture if
> you set the camera to infinity and try to shoot an object, 1 or 2 m
> away... It's meant for distant objects, where camera can't focus any
> longer just because of to long distance and also because at that long
> distance it's no longer any difference to change focus anymore. You
> can't measure 100 m if the camera can measure only up to 50m...

Hmmm . I think we are talking about different
things. The infinity focus setting I have seen
on cameras means a manual setting of always infinity.
And I use that setting very often.

Cameras with small sensors have a rather large
DOF and if you want to take a night view then
almost everything is sufficiently far away
to focus on infinity.

/Roland
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:13:21 PM

> again not hte same thing - above claim would be named manual focus,
> not infinity. Did you ever try to set the camera to infinity and shoot
> an object (even through glass...) which is 1 m away? i guess not...

Still - I think it is you that have misundertood.
The "infinity focus mode" is probably just that,
a manual setting at infinity. My and Michael's
answer are both based upon that assumption.

So - OK - original poster: what "infinity focus
setting" are we talking about? Sleeperman's or
Michael's and mine?

/Roland
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:02:48 PM

Eolake Stobblehouse <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> writes:

> Why do cameras have an "infinity focus" mode? Is it only for when you
> shoot through glass or a mesh, or might there be other reasons the
> camera has trouble focusing on infinity?

For airplanes in the air it can save focus hunt time (and focus will
fail if the airplane isn't over a sensor). Same could happen with
birds.
December 12, 2004 4:15:32 PM

Ron Hunter wrote:
> SleeperMan wrote:
>> Roland Karlsson wrote:
>>
>>> Eolake Stobblehouse <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in

>>> Many cameras have problems focussing when it is dark.
>>>

>>> /Roland
>>

>> That's true, but ut has very little todo with infinity focusing...
>> You can have total darkness and you still can't get a focused
>> picture if you set the camera to infinity and try to shoot an
>> object, 1 or 2 m away... It's meant for distant objects, where camera
>> can't focus any longer
>> just because of to long distance and also because at that long
>> distance it's no longer any difference to change focus anymore. You
>> can't measure 100 m if the camera can measure only up to 50m...
>>

> The mode setting conserves battery power, and time since the camera
> can just skip the autofocus process entirely. I use if for landscape
> pictures, or any subject greater than 50 feet from the camera.

True. In fact, i often wondered, how long means "infinity" - i have Canon S1
IS and i even wrote to Canon and they didn't answer anything in numbers. So,
i still wonder, how long can this (or any other) camera focus before it
locks in infinity?
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 4:23:52 PM

Roland Karlsson wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in
>
>> That's true, but ut has very little todo with infinity focusing...
>> You can have total darkness and you still can't get a focused
>> picture if you set the camera to infinity and try to shoot an
>> object, 1 or 2 m away... It's meant for distant objects, where
>> camera can't focus any longer just because of to long distance and
>> also because at that long distance it's no longer any difference to
>> change focus anymore. You can't measure 100 m if the camera can
>> measure only up to 50m...
>
> Hmmm . I think we are talking about different
> things. The infinity focus setting I have seen
> on cameras means a manual setting of always infinity.
> And I use that setting very often.
>
> Cameras with small sensors have a rather large
> DOF and if you want to take a night view then
> almost everything is sufficiently far away
> to focus on infinity.
>

> /Roland

Maybe i was a bit too generous with numbers - i think 50 m is already
infinity for all cameras. Maybe 2 m is better...
And - sure, infinity settings - you must set it manually, but it's still
not the same as manual focusing, which is meant for various reasons, like
several shots at same distance etc. I think my Canon S1 doesn't even have
infinity mode, but focus lock instead, so i can lock focus wherever i want.
But set focus in total darkness can result in out of focus shots, if these
shots are taken from close.
First firmware of S1 was very bad in low-light focusing, so i helped myself
with small hand-held laser pointer - i attached one of filters (i believe it
was heart) and then i pointed it to an object i wanted to shoot, locked
focus, and shoot. Results were quite excellent. But now all this is improved
with firmware upgrade (luckily).
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 4:27:03 PM

Roland Karlsson wrote:
> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in
>
>> again not hte same thing - above claim would be named manual focus,
>> not infinity. Did you ever try to set the camera to infinity and
>> shoot an object (even through glass...) which is 1 m away? i guess
>> not...
>
> Still - I think it is you that have misundertood.
> The "infinity focus mode" is probably just that,
> a manual setting at infinity. My and Michael's
> answer are both based upon that assumption.

i second that. As said, a man must MANUALLY set this infinity mode. But
Michael wrote

'Photography through scientific instruments where you want to aim the camera
into the eyepiece, with the camera's focus locked...'

Which is not quite clear - he is right about locked focus, but not always in
infinity point.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:22:02 AM

Taking photos through an aircraft canopy! Stops the camera trying
to focus on the canopy . . instead you get to focus on the
scenery.

jk

"Eolake Stobblehouse" <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in
message
Why do cameras have an "infinity focus" mode? Is it only for when
you
shoot through glass or a mesh, or might there be other reasons
the
camera has trouble focusing on infinity?

--
- Eolake
--
email@maccreator.com
http://MacCreator.com
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:22:03 AM

Jim Kelly wrote:
> Taking photos through an aircraft canopy! Stops the camera trying
> to focus on the canopy . . instead you get to focus on the
> scenery.

good one!

> jk
>

> "Eolake Stobblehouse" <eolake@maccreator.spamremove.net> wrote in
> message
> Why do cameras have an "infinity focus" mode? Is it only for when
> you
> shoot through glass or a mesh, or might there be other reasons
> the
> camera has trouble focusing on infinity?
>
> --
> - Eolake
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:27:24 AM

SleeperMan wrote:
> Roland Karlsson wrote:
>
>>"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in
>>

>>>again not hte same thing - above claim would be named manual focus,
>>>not infinity. Did you ever try to set the camera to infinity and
>>>shoot an object (even through glass...) which is 1 m away? i guess
>>>not...
>>
>>Still - I think it is you that have misundertood.
>>The "infinity focus mode" is probably just that,
>>a manual setting at infinity. My and Michael's
>>answer are both based upon that assumption.
>>

> i second that. As said, a man must MANUALLY set this infinity mode. But
> Michael wrote
>
> 'Photography through scientific instruments where you want to aim the camera
> into the eyepiece, with the camera's focus locked...'
>

> Which is not quite clear - he is right about locked focus, but not always in
> infinity point.

At one stage I had to take photos of samples under a microscope.
I was using a Minolta XG-2 with 50mm f/1.4 and 400 ASA Kodak film.
It didn't seem to matter what distance I focussed the lens to, as it was
always in focus if the lens was rested against the eyepiece, as long as
the image was sharp when viewed normaly with the naked eye throught the
eyepiece.

Perhaps that is the sort of situation that applies to the quote above?
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:27:25 AM

dj_nme wrote:
> SleeperMan wrote:
>> Roland Karlsson wrote:
>>
>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in

>>> Still - I think it is you that have misundertood.
>>> The "infinity focus mode" is probably just that,
>>> a manual setting at infinity. My and Michael's
>>> answer are both based upon that assumption.
>>>

>> i second that. As said, a man must MANUALLY set this infinity mode.
>> But Michael wrote
>>
>> 'Photography through scientific instruments where you want to aim
>> the camera into the eyepiece, with the camera's focus locked...'
>>

>> Which is not quite clear - he is right about locked focus, but not
>> always in infinity point.
>>

> At one stage I had to take photos of samples under a microscope.
> I was using a Minolta XG-2 with 50mm f/1.4 and 400 ASA Kodak film.
> It didn't seem to matter what distance I focussed the lens to, as it
> was always in focus if the lens was rested against the eyepiece, as
> long as the image was sharp when viewed normaly with the naked eye
> throught the eyepiece.
>
> Perhaps that is the sort of situation that applies to the quote above?

Good question...
!