New build not posting & no video

hrtbreaker

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Hello,

I am in the process of building a new desktop pc.

The components are as follows:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

1 stick of 2gb memory - Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2N6/2G

Ultra power supply

Ultra case

I have everything installed but the computer will not post nor will I get any video.

When I press the power button, the power supply fan starts and the 80 and 120mm fans start. The AMD heatsink fan starts spinning after a few seconds pass.

I'm not hearing any beeps or sounds from the motherboard. I've checked the speaker connection and it is connected properly.

The dvd drive does not seem to be working. I press the button to open the tray and nothing happens.

Both of the 2x4 12 volt power connector and the 2x12 main power connectors are connected.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot:

I removed the I/O panel to make sure the motherboard is not touching the case. The case is properly connected to the case with stand-offs and the case raised bumps.

I've moved the memory to another slot but nothing changed. I swapped out DDR2 memory from another working pc and have attempted different slots but nothing has changed.

I replaced the Gigabyte motherboard with a new one but the same problem is occurring.

I installed a video card from another working pc - a PCI Express x16 video card but the same problem is occurring.

I changed monitor wondering if the monitor wasn't working but the different monitor is having the same problem.

I swapped out the power supply with another Ultra supply from a different working pc but the same problem is occurring.

I'm at a loss what to do next...I've already replaced the motherboard, swapped memory, power supply, made sure everything is grounded.

Could it be the processor?

I did notice that the processor is a AM3 while the motherboard is an AM2 but the Gigabyte website said it supports the AM3 processors.

Do I assume the processor is bad?

I unfortunately only have a couple of days to RMA the processor if it might be bad.

Should I take it to a local computer shop to have them test the processor?
I unfortunately don't have another AM2 or AM3 motherboard to test it with.

Thoughts?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I guess you mean you don't have another CPU to test with. I keep a $35 CPU around for just this kind of situation (AM2 sempron). If you work on PC's enough, you may want to get one.
I don't often hear of a DOA processor, but it happens.
Did you try to boot the motherboard with it out of the case?
Does the website say it supports that particular CPU? And have you checked the bIOS version?
If its a BIOS issue, you'd need another CPU to test that and flash upgrade. Do you have a friend who could loan you one?

Also double check the wiring for the front panel. I've had a machine do exactly this and it was a reset or something that was wired according to the manual, but the manual was wrong. Did some easter-egging and finally got it to boot.

Man was I pissed!