Your question
Solved

What AGP card is compatible with my MOBO

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 10:31:17 PM

Hello TH peeps!

I have an old 'Asus A7N8X Deluxe' motherboard and am wanting to upgrade my video card to play Starcraft 2. I have a Radeon 2400 HD laying around but I tried to use it and it didnt seem to want to work (tried several drivers). Im not wizz but I figgured it my mobo.

Can you guys offer any assitance? Its greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time
a b U Graphics card
April 22, 2010 10:38:30 PM

An AGP version of the Radeon HD 4650 Video Card $85 @ TigerDirect would be an option.
What size power supply are you using?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 1:18:42 AM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Any AGP GPU fit in your mobo, the only thing that u need bear in mind is the PSU and the power that the entire rig needs.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1392 U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 1:35:07 AM

In suggest looking on ebay for a cheap 7600gs. I would not spend much money on a rig this old.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 8:00:45 PM

Thanks for the replies and the welcome fellas! The reason I was thinking perhaps some cards were not compatible was because, like i said - I have a Radeon2400HD that is unused in my house. And yes it "fit" in my mobo, but it didnt seem to be compatible. I tried several drivers, but it wouldnt display anything higher then 640x480 and was unable to launch any 3d games.

So thats what had me puzzled, I thought perhaps it was a BIOS compatibility issue or some such. Alright well I guess Ill try putting it back in and go from there.

Also, my power supply is 420w.

Thanks again!
m
l

Best solution

a c 1392 U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 8:14:12 PM

Did you try the AGP hotfix from ati?
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx
a b U Graphics card
April 23, 2010 8:40:43 PM

If you want to play StarCraft 2, I'm afraid it's probably time to replace the whole PC. An HD2400 isn't going to cut it, and I seriously doubt an old Socket-A Athlon XP CPU would either, even if it's a 2.8Ghz Barton. I suspect your system might make the bare minimum specs with a proper video card, but Blizzard's been careful not to release any such info as of yet. Even if you met the minimum specs, you couldn't expect any better than bare minimum performance. 640x480 resolution might end up being the only resolution your system can manage to play and maintain playable framerates.

I hate to sound so doom and gloom, but new games are a stretch for some 2 and 3-year old systems, let alone a 5 or 6-year old one.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2010 3:50:42 AM

I wasnt aware of the ATI hotfix, ill check that out for sure. That really sounds like the problem! thanks man

@RazberyBandit - you do sound pretty doom and gloom^^, but im not worried. First of all SC2 wont run less than 1024x768. Second im in the beta and I can play it pretty well on medium settings. Im certain a graphics card upgrade will have me playing smoothly, although you might be right about the HD2400, I was planning on buying a new one anyway - but didnt want to before I knew about possible compatibility issues..

Wish I could buy a new system but thats a chunk of cash I dont have yo

Thanks for the help anyway :) 
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2010 4:08:59 AM

Best answer selected by XGP.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2010 4:10:27 AM

rolli59 said:
Did you try the AGP hotfix from ati?
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Rolli You have solved my issue! I gota thank you for taking the time to look for me , I really appreciate it.

I see they released it 23 march, probably a week after I tried to install it, hah!

Cheers
m
l
!