Sign in with
Your question

Repair motherboard CPU socket - Whats the repair cost for Sandy Bridge

Last response: in Motherboards
February 15, 2011 1:04:52 AM

Hello, what is the repair cost
for repairing a CPU socket on a Sandy Bridge motherboard?
Sadly i didnt know my motherboard had a damaged CPU socket until the reseller told me and therefore they also refused a refund wich also was the reason i sent it back to them in the first place, same day as i recieved it, when i later on read on hardware forums that intel recalled all Sandy Bridge motherboards.

Sadly these kinds of damages is not covered by the warranty, and I have also been told that
i wont get a refund, and its my word against their and really I dont see how I could have damaged the CPU socket when i didnt even had ordered a CPU yet.

But, not much to do against a big company and therefore i would like to know what the cost is to repair a CPU socket on a motherboard. I have read on some other forums like xtremesystems that moderators there telling that its about a 25 $ cost on repairing or replacing the motherboard CPU socket, and I would like anyone here to confirm this for me, or what other kind of prices there is for repairs that is not covered by the warranty, and sadly my reseller didnt accept the motherboard and told me i damaged it, which i didnt but i cant proof that they are lying so.

Is it true that there is about a 25 $ cost for repairing or replacing a CPU socket on a motherboard, and if not what is the cost?

Post Edit
February 15, 2011 2:07:27 AM

pettersolhagen said:
I dont see how I could have damaged the CPU socket when i didnt even had ordered a CPU yet.

How do you know there is a problem if you haven't tried to use it yet?

While there were issues with the first wave of Sandy Bridge motherboards, the issue wasn't necessarily affecting every board... just a higher than acceptable number.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2011 2:07:51 AM

Are you saying the reseller told you it was damaged before your purchase?
Related resources
February 15, 2011 2:09:29 AM

No, i bought the board, 1 hour later there came news "intel recalls all sandy bridge motherboard", sent it back to the reseller, and then after 7 days after they picked it up they told me it was damaged.
a c 117 V Motherboard
a c 120 à CPUs
February 15, 2011 2:27:21 AM

pettersolhagen said:
No, i bought the board, 1 hour later there came news "intel recalls all sandy bridge motherboard", sent it back to the reseller, and then after 7 days after they picked it up they told me it was damaged.

Never ever spend another cent at that shop.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2011 2:38:42 AM

Tell them it was delivered damaged. And say you're gonna call the better business bureau if they're gonna make you pay for a damaged product.
February 15, 2011 8:06:54 AM

If it is the CPU socket that is damaged on a P67 board, I would advise throwing it out and buying another one. I know that is hard to hear, but here is my reasoning. You are talking about a key component of the board that takes care of another expensive component (your CPU). Any repair comes with risk. You could end up damaging your CPU in the long run by trying to save some money.

How much did you pay for the motherboard? You can get a replacement for like $150-$200...
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2011 1:29:11 PM

I had a damaged socket on my ASUS board (my fault). The repair cost was almost the price to replace the board. I bought a new one, "licked my wounds" and never looked back. If you are saying you bought a MB represented as never been used new in the box, you never opened it and installed it and when you returned it the company denied the return because of socket damage; I suggest the following:
1. Post the sellers name in the forum
2. Contact your return shipper and put a claim in for shipping damage.
3. Contact the help desk at PC mag. as they may intervene as they have a consumer help column.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
February 15, 2011 1:55:35 PM

The cost to have a professional rework the board and replace the socket would probably exceed the cost of the board. It's not easy to replace SMD devices, and the equipment to do it is very expensive.
February 15, 2011 2:05:36 PM

Report this to your Credit Card company that you used.
November 8, 2012 4:31:03 PM

Hello!

I want to replace socket of my motherboard (P8Z68 DELUXE), its one pin is lost!
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 2:54:03 PM

MoizAMarvi said:
Hello!

I want to replace socket of my motherboard (P8Z68 DELUXE), its one pin is lost!

Considering that board runs $119 on NewEgg, it's probably not going to be worth spending $85+ on labor to get someone to rework the board, no including the socket cost and shipping.

Just my $0.02
!