PCI Device no boot or virus?

G

Hello,
So today I was reading some of my PDF files for class. All I had open were PDF files and Microsoft Word. I then hear an online ad and even get a pop-up. I go into my Processes and see that there are about 5 iexplorer.exe's running. I try to close them but 2 or so keep popping up. Keep in mind that I can't see the iexplorer windows at all and I mainly use Firefox anyway. This prompts me to restart my comp. But ever since I did that, it hangs at PCI device listing. I've rearranged to boot from my HDD and CD-drive and vis versa, but it doesn't work.

Is the iexplorer and PCI device listing related? Let me know what I can do. Thanks.

I have a pretty old comp btw. The motherboard is an ASUS A8N-SLI. Let me know if more info is needed.

G

yeah im using xp. i can't get into safe mode to remove malware or do anything. when i press F8 i get to a screen where i can choose to boot either from my cd drive or my hdd and then it tries to boot from whichever i select, which results in the same PCI listing screen.

any idea how i can get in to at least have a chance at removing the malware?

There are a few other common keystrokes that boot into the safe mode menu (ESC, F1, F2, F9, F11, and delete). However, the easiest way to do it, is to start the PC, then as the PC starts to load, hold down the power button and force it to shut down. Then next time it starts up, it should take you to a menu asking if you want to boot normally, last known good config, safe mode...etc.

What are your hardware specs? What is installed in the PCI slots?

yeah im using xp. i can't get into safe mode to remove malware or do anything. when i press F8 i get to a screen where i can choose to boot either from my cd drive or my hdd and then it tries to boot
After you choose the HDD and as it continues to try to boot press/tap F8 again and you should see the Safe Mode option screen.