New mobo advice

jeno8888

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Hello,
I had been having problems with my computer cutting off. i replaced my hard drive and my processor with a AMD Phenom II X4 945. im in the market for a new mobo but not sure what i want. i need advice. i currently have an Asus M2N32-Sli Deluxe mobo. i want an upgrade but im not trying to go all out. im running Sli video cards. what are some good mobo's from Asus?

jeno8888

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Hello,
I had been having problems with my computer cutting off. i replaced my hard drive and my processor with a AMD Phenom II X4 945. im in the market for a new mobo but not sure what i want. i need advice. i currently have an Asus M2N32-Sli Deluxe mobo. i want an upgrade but im not trying to go all out. im running Sli video cards. what are some good mobo's from Asus?

jeno8888

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Yea I knew that if I upgraded my mobo, I'd have to get DDR3 RAM. And that CPU is AM3 i believe. it should be AM2+ & AM3. Im just not sure what mobo to go with because there are so many out there to choose from.

jeno8888

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
well originally the problem was the CPU was overheating. I took off my liquid cooling to see if that was the problem. I thought that maybe it wasnt working properly, that didnt work. So i started doing some research and found out that the motherboard had a bad rep for overheating the CPU. The computer wouldnt come on at all for the longest time and finally one day it came on but it would completely power off during boot up and the windows screen. I changed out the Hard Drive and it would start up after that. Then i went to replace the CPU and i spilt the cooling solution from the liquid cooling on the motherboard. I cleaned it up as much as i could and let it dry for a couple days and sprayed it out with canned air. But now it comes on but i cant get and display from it. So i think i just fried the motherboard and im replacing it. Thats why im looking for a motherboard. The power supply is a 850W power supply.

jeno8888

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
well im not going to be usinh it any longer. i bought a cooler master 212 but im waiting for a mobo to install it. im not a hardcore gamer. i like to get on and mess around but i dont dedicate my life to it.

jeno8888

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My buddy gave me a single graphics card until i buy a new one. What do you think would be a good mobo to get. i have added some stuff since we were last talking so read the other stuff. i know im a noob at this but im trying to learn. im not looking for anything crazy under $200 but im not trying to go all out. I prefer Asus over other mobo's. Thank you for your help.

jeno8888

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
ok so i ended up buying the Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 mobo and i also got (2x2GB)4GB A-DATA 1600 DDR3 RAM. but i forgot to check and see if the RAM was compatible and of course with my luck it isnt compatible with my motherboard. so will that be a problem?

You have a 50/50 change of compatibility or not. My current RAM isn't in the QVL for my mobo, but even that it's running without problems at 1600MHz 8-8-8-21-1T@1.65V and can run overclocked @2000MHz.

Install the RAM run some test, set the settings to the default for the RAM and test it again.