Sub-$700 gaming build w/ discounts; pull trigger?

neon_electro

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Hey everyone, I've been planning for awhile on buying a gaming PC sometime this summer, and I've recently found a nice combo deal that puts this setup well below $700. It's a first time build, but I already have a monitor and OS.

A couple questions though:

There's going to be a Shell Shocker deal tomorrow for the 750gb version of the WD Caviar Black- I've heard that the Caviar Black has three platters compared to the 640gb version's two. I know that less platters = lower heat/better performance/etc., but should I be more focused on price/gigabyte?

Second, I was originally looking at getting a Corsair PSU (modular 650w for over $100), but that put me over budget. I've looked at this OCZ unit before, and the reviews are looking pretty good for the most part. For my current parts list, does this unit look alright? The PSU/Video Card combo is very very appealing ($55 in instant rebates + $25 in mail-in rebates).

One last bundle of questions, how easy would it be to overclock the CPU, and how far could I go on stock air? I might use some of the rebate money to get a budget CPU cooler, if you could provide any good bang/buck examples, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any comments/criticism you guys have.
Note: The parts list is an image I screen-shotted from pasting a public wishlist on Newegg. If you want to see the public wishlist with links, click here.

rbir2a.png

TechVick

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

Judging from the build he's put together, I doubt he has any realistic reason for wanting a six core processor.