Help with external hard drive enclosure

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
October 9, 2004 8:19:09 PM

I have a external 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure with a 4G hard drive
in it. The enclosure comes with two cables. The first is a regular
USB cable, the second is USB/key board connector on one end (to the
laptop) and AC power connector on the other end (to the enclosure).
When I plug in both cables, my laptop recognizes the enclosure as an
usb mass storage. When I only plug in the first USB cable, my laptop
recognizes the enclosure intermittenly. Is this expected?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 10, 2004 3:26:06 AM

In article <1ca90122.0410091519.67f00f35@posting.google.com>,
April <q3184@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have a external 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure with a 4G hard drive
>in it. The enclosure comes with two cables. The first is a regular
>USB cable, the second is USB/key board connector on one end (to the
>laptop) and AC power connector on the other end (to the enclosure).
>When I plug in both cables, my laptop recognizes the enclosure as an
>usb mass storage. When I only plug in the first USB cable, my laptop
>recognizes the enclosure intermittenly. Is this expected?

Sounds like the second cable is to tap +5v off your keyboard socket and
use it to power the external drive. If your USB port can't supply enough
power by itself, recognition might be erratic until the power is
supplemented by that extra cable.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 10, 2004 3:33:59 AM

q3184@hotmail.com (April) wrote in

> I have a external 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure with a 4G hard
> drive in it. The enclosure comes with two cables. The first is
> a regular USB cable, the second is USB/key board connector on
> one end (to the laptop) and AC power connector on the other end
> (to the enclosure). When I plug in both cables, my laptop
> recognizes the enclosure as an usb mass storage. When I only
> plug in the first USB cable, my laptop recognizes the enclosure
> intermittenly. Is this expected?

If these are the only connections to the external disk drive, the
explanation is probably that a USB port cannot supply sufficient
power to run the disk drive, hence the second connection is required
to top it up.

I've seen a similar arrangement on a Dell laptop for the external CD
writer drive.
a b D Laptop
October 10, 2004 6:34:22 PM

Thanks for the explannations.

When I connected the first USB cable, a red light on the enclosure
comes on and the hard drive starts spinning. I made the silly
assumption that this was a workable configuation and the intermitten
connectivity was due to faulty hard drive. I actually used the
external drive in this fashion for a while until I realized one day
that there was a second cable in the box. I guess I should have read
the owner's manual instead of tossing it away.
October 11, 2004 2:13:42 AM

You need to use Both USB cables because:
Each cable provides 500ma and the case needs 1000ma to operate properly.

"April" <q3184@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a external 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure with a 4G hard drive
> in it. The enclosure comes with two cables. The first is a regular
> USB cable, the second is USB/key board connector on one end (to the
> laptop) and AC power connector on the other end (to the enclosure).
> When I plug in both cables, my laptop recognizes the enclosure as an
> usb mass storage. When I only plug in the first USB cable, my laptop
> recognizes the enclosure intermittenly. Is this expected?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 1, 2004 12:27:37 PM

Actually, the main one is for Windows to recognize your external hard
drive, while the others are for additional power source from your
computer. Since it doesn't have any external power adapter, therefore
it needs to get power supply from your computer. Plug them all!

More about external enclosure at

http://www.removable-storage-guide.com

Hope this explains the issue!
!