Slave hd with xp's os

My slave hd which has an xp (working condition), do I need to disable the
restore function before I do a virus scan. Appreciate your advice, thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about slave

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:29:01 -0800, rue wrote:

    > My slave hd which has an xp (working condition), do I need to disable the
    > restore function before I do a virus scan. Appreciate your advice, thanks

    System Restore? No. Symantec (Norton's antivirus) has been recommending
    disabling of System Restore when cleaning a virus. Why I don't know. That
    would only be necessary if a virus was detected in a System Volume
    Information folder. Antivirus programs cannot clean infected files from
    this protected location. Disabling System Restore temporarily will flush
    out all of the restore points. Scan the system after disabling to be sure
    that the virus is gone. Then enable it again.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Sharon,
    I mean the system restore function in XP which we both understand this is
    the "restore function" we are talking about.

    Do I disable the restore function in xp when it is in the slave drive WHEN
    I want to do a virus scan?

    And I do not quite understand what you are saying quote-

    "System Restore? No. Symantec (Norton's antivirus) has been recommending
    disabling of System Restore when cleaning a virus"
    but at the end quote:-
    " Scan the system after disabling to be sure that the virus is gone. Then
    enable it again. "

    In the first quote, you are saying its not necessary (to disable it for
    v/scanning) but in the 2nd quote, you are saying disable then scan then
    disable.

    Apologise if I have not describe the scenario correctly in my first post.
    Look forward for your clarification, thanks

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:35:01 -0800, rue wrote:

    > Sharon,
    > I mean the system restore function in XP which we both understand this is
    > the "restore function" we are talking about.
    >
    > Do I disable the restore function in xp when it is in the slave drive WHEN
    > I want to do a virus scan?
    >
    > And I do not quite understand what you are saying quote-
    >
    > "System Restore? No. Symantec (Norton's antivirus) has been recommending
    > disabling of System Restore when cleaning a virus"
    > but at the end quote:-
    > " Scan the system after disabling to be sure that the virus is gone. Then
    > enable it again. "
    >
    > In the first quote, you are saying its not necessary (to disable it for
    > v/scanning) but in the 2nd quote, you are saying disable then scan then
    > disable.
    >
    > Apologise if I have not describe the scenario correctly in my first post.
    > Look forward for your clarification, thanks

    "Restore" can mean many things - restore from an image file, recovery or
    restore programs from the manufacturer, XP's System Restore, etc. So I'm
    glad that you specified which one you are talking about.

    Sorry if I sounded contradictory in my virus but when scanning the system
    for viruses, you do not need to disable system restore. There is no good
    reason to give up restore points if they are not infected.

    *If* a virus is discovered and *if* your antivirus program notifies you
    that the infected file is in one of the System Volume Information folders
    (hidden folders used by system restore) -- the program will also tell you
    that it can not repair or remove the virus. If and when these things
    happen, *then* disable system restore to dump the contents of the System
    Volume Information folders. Under these conditions, the restore points are
    useless to you if they are infected.

    Once that is done, then run the scan with antivirus program again.

    It doesn't matter what drive or partition you're concerned about. The above
    would apply to any drive being monitored by System Restore and that you
    intend to scan for viruses.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User